renamed files not recognized, new files created

Get help for specific problems

roadstar

I renamed many files on my drive. When I synced, freefilesync wanted to create all new files and leave me with tons of duplicates. This doesn't seem right, and I can't proceed with the sync or any other sync if this is the case. The features list says that it recognizes renamed files.
Please help, and thanks.

Plerry

> The features list says that it recognizes renamed files.
For detecting moved or renamed files or folders, FreeFileSync (FFS) uses a database.
The Two-way sync variant always creates and uses such database, for other variant you need to opt to create and use such database ("Detect moved files").
The detection of moved or renamed files or folders uses file-IDs.
Not every file system uses file-IDs, and not in every file-system/OS file-IDs remains unchanged across different sessions (e.g. after a re-start).

> When I synced, freefilesync wanted to create all new files and leave me with tons of duplicates.
If it can not detect renamed files, FFS will copy the renamed files, and delete the "old" files.
It will not leave you any duplicates, unless you specifically tell FFS to do so by selecting the Update sync variant, instead of Two-way or Mirror.

xCSxXenon

Need clarification. Plerry is assuming that FFS is wanting to re-copy and delete the existing versions, but your post says it will end up with duplicates. Can you confirm one way or ther other?

If it truly will end up with duplicates, your folders in the pair have changed, otherwise Plerry is correct. Also make sure your compare window shows all operations, using the boxes at the bottom to show/hide certain operations.

roadstar

Thanks for the help. Yes, FFS does create duplicates. I'm using Update. I don't generally want FFS to delete files on any side. I want to make sure that new files are created on the right, and I have assumed that if I renamed something, that file would be updated. So I've just been hitting Update and trusting this would happen. I have a lot of drives. It wasn't until I renamed a bunch of photos in one directory that I noticed the big block of new files.

Can you recommend a setup for me using the other variants that won't delete files on the right (unless I want it to) but adds new files and detects renamed and moved files? That would be great.
Thanks!

roadstar

Further, the reason this is an issue is that I'm currently archiving and backing up about 20 drives, and it involves a lot of file/folder renaming and some moving around. Each drive has a backup drive. In a daily backup of Documents there isn't much moving around, mostly new files, so Update is getting them. But doing this archival backup all of a sudden involves more. Thanks again for any suggestions.

PS I tried a few Two Way and Mirror variants but I didn't get a good result. Both said 1000 (or whatever) files would be deleted and 584 files would be created on the left...etc. Not what I want. So I don't have a good result yet. Just to clarify, "hiding" the "Deleted" files re the icon at the bottom does not prevent the deletions, it just doesn't show them on the screen. Is that right?

xCSxXenon

I think I understand. Any 'update' method is going to ignore move/renamed files unfortunately, pretty much every backup/sync utility performs the same.