[Suggestion] A "stop soon" button?

Discuss new features and functions

yunruse

Hey hi howdy

FreeFileSync has been amazing to send some 500GB of simulation data to my colleagues; multi-threaded upload is a life-saver. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to take my laptop to do things, and the files I'm uploading are large enough that it might take ten, twenty minutes to upload. I'm a little miffed that if I hit stop, some files might be quite a ways into upload before being yoinked.

Would it be possible to add a "stop soon" button next to "pause" and "stop", such that if pressed it stops threading new uploads and simply finishes those currently uploading?

Thanks for your time!

xCSxXenon

That is how the stop function already. It finishes any currently open transfers and stops after they finish. It won't start any more file transfers

yunruse

Not so; whenever I hit "stop" the transfers stop, or else I'd have been waiting for twenty minutes or so. I figured that was intentional behaviour; I can't see any documentation that says otherwise :s

xCSxXenon

That's interesting because the opposite has been complained about, where hitting stop doesn't stop immediately, because it finishes current files, and people thought FFS was broken. Unless Zenju has changed the behavior, it should still work that way.
Upon my own test, I do see what you mean, it is stopping immediately for me. It must have been changed or I was entirely mistaken the whole time. I guess, temporarily, you could only sync certain files in chunks to help mitigate it a little bit.
Site Admin

Zenju

Currently "Pause" behaves like OP wants, but that's accidental and considered a bug by some users:
viewtopic.php?t=6562
viewtopic.php?t=7100

yunruse

Thanks for clarifying the Pause behaviour. I'll use that when I know I'm not going to be on Ethernet :)

(does sftp even allow for files to be paused midway? I guess you could send something construed as "I'm done" then rename the file to indicate it's midway done; but IDK if sftp works in a way where you could hack it like that)