Folders D:\example and E:\example are significantly different! Please check"

Discuss new features and functions

kRel

NON-EXISTING PROBLEM
I WAS WRONG. I APOLOGIZE
CORRECTION IN THE LAST DISCUSSION

Always FreeFileSync, only at the end of the synchronization, sometimes produces a warning similar to this (ex.): "The folders D:\Download and E:\Dowload are significantly different, please check"

Unfortunately, however, the synchronization has already occurred and the differences - in the specific case of mirror synchronization - have been eliminated by the synchronization by transferring from D:\Documents what is missing in E:\Documents and deleting what is present on E:\Documents missing in D:\Documents. (Again to remain faithful to the example cited above).

This warning could be particularly useful in the "Comparison" phase, rather than in the "Synchronization" phase when the writing has already taken place.

Am I wrong?

Greetings
Last edited by kRel on 24 Mar 2021, 09:49, edited 2 times in total.

xCSxXenon

I want to say that it does show that message before a sync, unless you have checked the box to dismiss it and never show again. Maybe reset dialog boxes? Nevertheless, that shows up after the sync because it is really just showing you the log

kRel

Sorry, maybe the translator has changed the concept I wanted to express. Or I didn't quite understand your explanation. In any case, thanks for your reply.

To be clear and avoid misunderstandings, I am forced to be long and trivial.

My intent is to have an identical copy of some directories contained in one disk on a second disk for redundancy. So I use mirror sync.

It is normal for the destination disk, perhaps after a week, to have significantly different content from the source disk.

For this reason, to prevent any synchronization from being interrupted, in the "Comparison Settings" of FreeFileSync I consciously flagged the "Ignore errors" box.

However - as a test - I made two folders with very different contents and I removed the flag: in the "Comparison" phase I didn't get any warning.

Given the above,

if it were as you say, that is, the display of the notice "The folders D:\xyz and E:\xyz are significantly different, please check" was really just a warning from the register, ok, but in this case the phrase "please check "is out of place and out of time ....

because now there is nothing more to check since the data after synchronization must necessarily be identical both in D:\ and in E:\

If it were a warning, it should only be produced in the comparison phase and not in synchronization, because synchronization has now taken place.

Here's what I don't understand ....

xCSxXenon

Tools > Options > Restore hidden dialogs

kRel

now and always:

xCSxXenon

Looks like this has turned into a feature request. Zenju will have to change it to post that warning before sync

kRel

Looks like this has turned into a feature request. Zenju will have to change it to post that warning before sync xCSxXenon, 23 Mar 2021, 18:50
At first I was convinced it was my mistake, now your words make me think of a change to report, but I don't know if I can do it, and in which discussion to insert the request.
Thanks for your patience.

Good things....

EDIT:
IN THE LAST TEST I HAVE DONE, AFTER STARTING THE COMPARISON I DO NOT GET ANY NOTICE. BUT (!) AT THE START OF SYNCHRONIZATION I GET NOTICE OF SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT FOLDERS WITH THE POSSIBILITY TO STOP THE OPERATION. I WAS WRONG. I APOLOGIZE