CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT on Google Drive Files

Get help for specific problems

TomAD

I see this has been brought up several times, with lots of references to Windows Defender. But those solutions don't work for me.

I have a folder containing files that range in size from 261MB to only 1MB that I am trying to do "update only" downloading them from Google Drive to my local system on a schedule. Interestingly to me it's the 96MB and 37MB files that I'm having issues with. The largest file seems to work just fine. These troublesome files are zip files containing lots of individual files. My largest file doesn't have nearly as many individual files inside.

Does FreeFileSync take any actions specifically to get past the "Can't scan file for viruses" pop-up that Google drive pops up when manually attempting to download large files? I.e., is this pop-up what is stopping the files from downloading? (The fact that my largest file is working makes me think there is something being done to bypass this message, but I wanted to ask.)

Is there any way to dramatically increase the 15 second timeout? I'd like to at least try increasing the time-out to see if the file eventually starts to download. When I manually download using Chrome, these files do take a long time to start, but they eventually always do. For some reason my largest file starts quickly, but the troublesome files take a lot longer to start.

TomAD

Is there a FFS developer that can help me understand where the "15 second timeout" is configured so I can try a higher timeout?

FaidonKourounakis

I have the same problem too. The 15 seconds timeout isn't really the problem (as stated in other posts in the forum). The problem is that FFS with google drive just does not work properly. My download (and upload) speeds while synchronizing reach 0 soon after the syncing starts (which causes ffs to stop). It makes it impossible to back up to google drive. One thing is sure, the transfer rate should not be that low or zero. I don't know what the cause is, and no developer has answered to this issue to my knowledge...

xCSxXenon

Run a system log and post them. Many people use that feature without issue, so it's less likely to be a FFS issue than a setup issue

TomAD

What is a "system log"? (Windows specific instructions appreciated.)
I reviewed the manual (https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=all) and I don't see it mentioned.
I've searched the forum and I find quite a few places where system logs are requested, but no places where it is described how to obtain such a log.

TomAD

The log file generated by FFS, cleaned up for privacy, is repeated below.

Note that the file sizes do NOT indicate that the size is the issue. It is always the same files that fail.
gplib_1.zip 261MB
gplib_2.zip 92MB - FAILS
gplib_3.zip 1MB
gplib_4.zip 49MB
gplib_5.zip 110MB
gplib_6.zip 329KB
gplib_7.zip 35MB - FAILS
gplib_8.zip 8MB - FAILS

BatchRun 4/14/2021 [11:57:05 AM]
| Errors: 3
| Items processed: 5 (422 MB)
| Items remaining: 3 (134 MB)
| Total time: 00:00:43
|_______________________________

Errors and warnings:
[11:57:21 AM] Error: Cannot read file "gdrive:\(username)\(folder)\gplib_6.zip".
CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]
[11:57:40 AM] Error: Cannot read file "gdrive:\(username)\(folder)\gplib_8.zip".
CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]
[11:57:48 AM] Error: Cannot read file "gdrive:\(username)\(folder)\gplib_9.zip".

[11:57:05 AM] Info: Comparison finished: 13 items found | Time elapsed: 00:00:00
[11:57:05 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_1.zip"
[11:57:05 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_2.zip"
[11:57:05 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_3.zip"
[11:57:07 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_4.zip"
[11:57:20 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_5.zip"
[11:57:21 AM] Error: Cannot read file "gdrive:\(username)\(folder)\gplib_2.zip".
[11:57:21 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_6.zip"
[11:57:25 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_7.zip"
[11:57:33 AM] Info: Creating file "D:\Share\Tools\InboundSyncFolder\gplib_8.zip"
[11:57:40 AM] Error: Cannot read file "gdrive:\(username)\(folder)\gplib_7.zip".
[11:57:48 AM] Error: Cannot read file "gdrive:\(username)\(folder)\gplib_8.zip".

And when I manually download the failing files with a browser, it does take significant time for Google to start transferring information. It really does seem like a longer timeout might help.

I have done what I can to eliminate my malware scanners from impacting these folders.

btuck

Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue?

I'm having the same issue. FFS will timeout when trying to download files from Google Drive. These files are exe, jar, msi, or a zip containing one of those. All these file types trigger a Google virus scan. FFS seems to timeout before the virus scan is complete. FTP settings allow for a timeout to be increased but the Google Drive connection does not seem to have this option.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Site Admin

Zenju

Added user-configurable timeout for Google Drive:
viewtopic.php?t=9116#p32916

TomAD

As I mentioned in another thread. The new 11.18 version resolves my issue. Thank you!