ERROR_TOO_MANY_CMDS: The network BIOS command limit has been reached. [ReadDirectoryChangesW]

Get help for specific problems

phrab

I saw someone had a similar problem in June of 2020, but got no answers. I have 2 machines, Win10 Pro & WinXP, that I sync various folders. I created 2 Real-time sync jobs, that ordinarily work fine. However, if reboot my Win10 machine & look in the notification overflow area (the one you see when you click the chevron beneath it), one of my real-time icons is flashing & shows the following error message for only 1 of the real-time sync jobs:

ERROR_TOO_MANY_CMDS: The network BIOS command limit has been reached. [ReadDirectoryChangesW]

I have 2 ways to get it to work again:
1) Go directly to FreeFileSync (not real-time sync) & run the synchronization (the black square containing a green arrow & a > sign). After doing so, the icon in the notification overflow area still flashes & shows an error, but changes to "Directory monitoring active" after about 10 seconds.

2. Quit the real-time sync job & then go to my startup folder & double click it.

However, I would really like to know why this happens.

therube

I don't know that this is the reason, but perhaps something similar, where particular resources (most likely on the XP end) are being used up, so programs start to fart, Not enough server storage to process command - Revisit.

(Ran into a different program, on Win7, that was eating too much of "something", GDI handles in that case, that then caused it to have graphical glitches. How many Windows handles in use is “too many”?)

phrab

Thank you for your reply. I suppose it could be something similar...I just don't know. Wish I could stop it from happening, since it occurs every time I reboot Win10.