One-way sync with no check of destination files

Discuss new features and functions

MichaelRyan

Hi there,

I've been using FFS for years but this is my first post. I've searched the forum but can't find an existing answer.

I have a Configuration defined that copies files from one folder to another (typically these folders are on different drives). What I want is for FFS to copy from the source folder to the destination folder all files that have been created or modified since I last ran this Configuration.

As an example, let's say my configuration is called 'do the backup'. This configuration is set to copy all files whose mtime is more recent than the mtime of the corresponding file on the destination drive. That's a current capability, so great, let's run it. Let's say I run this on 14th May @ 12:00. It copies all files in the source that were modified more recently than the destination copy, or where a destination file doesn't exist.

I then change the configuration to 'copy-everything-newer-than-last-run'. Now I come back the following day, 15th May and run this configuration again. This time it will only copy from the source folder, all those files that have been created or modified since the last run, i.e. since 14th May @ 12:00.

With this scheme, FFS never needs to check the destination folder. The decision on which files to copy is based exclusively on which files in the source folder are newer than the timestamp when this config was last run.

If the destination drive is slow and has many hundreds of thousands of files, this saves me a lot of time waiting for the destination drive to be checked, when I know I always want to copy files in the source folder that are more recent than when I last backed up to the destination drive (i.e. more recent than my last run of this config).

Is this possible?

Great program, I love it. I have the Donation edition.

Kind regards,
Michael

xCSxXenon

No way to specify to sync "since last run", but there is a time-span option in the filter settings.

MichaelRyan

Thanks @xCSxXenon. That still results in a scan of the destination folder/ disk, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

xCSxXenon

Sorry for the huge delay, just stumbled back on this. I understand what you are wanting now, and it isn't possible with FFS

MichaelRyan

No problem! :-) Thanks for taking the time out to mention it.