macOS: 'overlap' between different non-admin user accounts ?

Get help for specific problems

fofas

Greetings everyone,

I have 2 NON-ADMIN user accounts: user1, user2.

user1:
installed FFS 'only for me', FFS gets installed in /Users/user1/Applications
At no point did I have to enter an Admin password!

user2:
installed FFS 'only for me'; FFS gets installed in /Users/user2/Applications
Again, at no point did I have to enter an Admin password!

Now, when I logged back into user1 (!) and tried to open FFS, the following error message popped up:

Cannot open directory "/Users/user2/Library".
EACCES: Permission denied [opendir]

So obviously, FFS stores some information above the user level. Where is that? Somewhere in /Library, or /System/Library? But without an Admin password ??

Thanks ;)

fofas

Does it have anything to do with

defaults

User/System CFPrefsD

https://ss64.com/osx/defaults.html

?
Last edited by fofas on 21 Jul 2021, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.

fofas

There are some files/folders in

/private/var/folders/9t/

com.apple.bird
com.apple.dock.launchpad
com.apple.LaunchServices.dv
com.apple.nsurlsessiond

where only the non-admin user that installed FFS last has read/write access.

Would that have something to do with it?
Site Admin

Zenju

There shouldn't be overlap. Can you post the full error message? Do you have steps that reliably reproduce this?

fofas

Thanks very much for replying.

Alert box when starting FFS from within user1 (NOT user 'test'):

seems they don't allow embedding, link:
http://bayimg.com/KaabCAAhA
Do you have steps that reliably reproduce this?
I tried reinstalling FFS within user1, still the same.

Then I 'played around' with ~/Library/Application Support/FreeFileSync, i.e. deleting a couple of times, then copying back the previous files, and low and behold, now I can start FFS in BOTH ACCOUNTS, user1 and test (user2).

But there IS OVERLAP; otherwise, how could FFS within user1 be aware of user2 (test) ?

The files in /private/var/folders/9t/ are from around the time I installed FFS in user 'test'.

Plus, I vaguely remember playing around with FFS a couple of years ago, maybe there are some old files around, somewhere outside of user accounts, like in /usr, or /private ?
Site Admin

Zenju

I believe you somehow managed to start /Users/test/Applications/FreeFileSync.app while logged in with a different user. I can reproduce this and have it fixed for the next release (it's a strange case, but it should work without error): https://www.mediafire.com/file/6uhifv7wdyjlr55/FreeFileSync_11.13_beta_macOS.zip

fofas

Thanks very much.

Good to hear that the issue can be fixed!

As I said, after deleting/re-creating ~/Library/Application Support/FreeFileSync several times, FFS has been working fine for me … so I can wait for the next stable release ;)

The reason I was slightly astonished was that I didn't know it was even possible for apps that were installed with no admin privileges to 'peek' into other accounts — especially since FileVault (full disk encryption) is activated on my Mac …