Exact Sync?

Discuss new features and functions

niknik1971

On my Windows computer I use GoodSync which syncs the files and directories. It makes exact syncs of the said files and directories (creation time and such).

Can FreeFileSync do the same thing

Nik

therube

It makes exact syncs of the said files and directories (creation time and such).
In general (depending on OS/file system...), file & directory times (created & modified) should agree.

That said, FFS does "touch" directory times during its file discovery process.
sync.ffs_lock is touching source folder modified date/time

niknik1971

When in Windows I ran Goodsync after a sync from FreeFileSync and there is a differance in file creation time. When I sync in Windows using Goodsynce the fil times and everything is exact.

xCSxXenon

Directories will not have the same timestamps unfortunately, only files

therube

Top most directory may not.
Subdirectories to it should (or may, depending*).

Like if there is existing subdirectory, & one of the files within is updated, it may not necessarily have "correct" date.

For a newly created subdirectory its dates should be correct, I'm pretty sure.

(That said, as I'm perusing, I see a file dated 6-23-2021, where its' verisioned version is dated 10-17-2004.
I can't fathom how that particular file was touched, & it's otherwise identical, unless someone came back from the dead ;-).)

Plerry

@therube
At least in Windows, FFS does not/never preserve the timestamp of folders.
See e.g. here.

therube

At least in Windows, FFS does not/never preserve the timestamp of folders.
There has to be something else going on.
Yesterday, Win7, I copied a dirtree /LIB/ to a flash drive K:/LIB/, & except for the top-most directory itself (/LIB), all subdirectories of LIB (LIB/DEVV, LIB/DAC ...) are all dated correctly.

I just tried similar, here in my office, also Win7, & all the directory entries are dated current.

And the very same with other utilities. Dates correct at home, dates current at my office.

Pro at home. Home Premium at office. NTFS sources. exFAT target.

Not aware, particularly, that I made any changes ever, on either end relating to this, but I'm sure getting different results. (I did just put in 11.28 - but that has nothing to do with it, cause FFC is giving me the very same works at home, but not here?)

Might the physical port have anything to do with it? USB 2.0 at home. Not sure precisely here?