FreeFileSync is AWESOME!

Discuss new features and functions

EngineerMind

I downloaded freefilesync and made the donation months ago.

But I actually just started using it and boy is this one great app :)

My old phone has an MicroSD memory card slot, so if my phone died, I could just take out the memory card and get my stuff from it.

But my new phone doesn't have a memory card slot, just internal memory. So, if my phone craps out, all the files in it could be lost.

So, I needed something to sync my phone's internal MTP memory to my desktop PC on a regular basis as a backup in case the phone dies.

Most file sync apps do not support MTP, so I was real happy to see freefilesync did!

This app was just the ticket I was looking for.

Great job on adding some really cool features - like the ability to select a folder and setup a folder to exclude it from the backup.

Thanks again!

Plerry

If everything works OK for you, it seems you are lucky to have a phone with a decent MTP implementation.
We frequently have users on this forum that have problems syncing their phones, almost certainly caused by flaky MTP implementations ...

EngineerMind

I have a Pixel 4a running android 10.

There is one issue that I thought was a reliability problem, but it turned out to be a security feature.

Basically, I have a desktop docking/charging station for my phone. And I want to do a sync when it's docked.
But many times the USB connection state of the phone would switch to "Charge" even though I set it for "File Transfer (MTP)".

This seemed like a reliability issue until I realized that when it switched to "Charge" mode it was at the same time my phone went into "Lock" mode. You see, I have my phone configured to go into lock mode if I don't use it for 30 mins. When it's locked, I have to enter my pin to unlock it.

Well, when it goes into lock mode, then it makes perfect sense that the MTP mode turns off - to protect the files on the phone from unauthorized access. Then when I unlock the phone, usually (like 85% of the time), but not always, the MTP mode turns back on.

Once I discovered this correlation, I know know to make sure my phone is unlocked before I start the sync.