Auto Correction of Invalid File Path or Name

Discuss new features and functions

wttyyyy

When we sync some documents from a cloud to Windows, sometimes there is an error due to an invalid file path or name. Is it possible to have a function to auto-correction the path or name to avoid the error and made the sync successful?

Plerry

> ... sometimes there is an error due to an invalid file path or name

View the FFS Tutorials.

For your FFS left and right base locations you can use drag&drop of the base location folder(s), e.g. from Windows (file) Explorer. This should eliminate invalid path's, as you drag&drop it from a file browser.

Invalid file- or path-names in your Include and/or Exclude Filer you will only notice due to unexpected proposed sync actions (or the lack of proposed sync actions). You can avoid those invalid names by running a Compare, select one (or more, via Ctlr-click) files and/or folder in the Compare results and use the FFS right-click option to add items to your Include or Exclude Filter.

Gianni1962

Hi Plerry,
I think wttyyyy meant file path or name valid for the Cloud file system but not valid for the Windows file system.

xCSxXenon

Can you give an example? It's unlikely though, as the invalid and valid path may be two locations in the cloud, but only one in Windows after "auto-correcting", and may cause corruption/data loss

wttyyyy

eg:
We can use '/' in Google Drive as a folder or file name, but it is invalid in Windows. It should be great if FFS can correct those invalid char to a space or '_'.

xCSxXenon

Ok, but what if you also have a folder with that name? How would this be handled?
\Users\Me\Docs/PDFs\School
and
\Users\Me\Docs_PDFs\School
would be the same and whichever one syncs second would overwrite the first

wttyyyy

Yes, that should be an issue, and if we use a different rule when a conflict occurred that may cause new sync issues.
The first two solutions in my mind:
1. add a prefix on those names. eg. "SSFAC_" (FFS Auto-Correction).
2. use a special char that cannot create by a human if there are any of them.

xCSxXenon

1) Possible, not a bad option
2) I don't think there is any character that can't be created by a human, it's all just ASCII codes

therube

(Sounds like a mess to me ;-).

So Windows has its special characters & Linux too (minimally).
And Google, in their own "little" world, allows all characters.
Sound's like a recipe for a sync programs dream (er, nightmare).

As if long file names weren't bad enough.
You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document

Just some links:
Turn a string into a valid filename?
Google Drive API Search Files For Special Characters?
What is the maximum name length for a document on Google Drive?

And all that said, if an (individual) person knows that they're going to end up wanting to sync between "there" & here, they may need to be a bit cognizant of gotchas. Outside of the individual arena...)