FFS can not delete files in target location

Get help for specific problems

andrewf8

I am running (Linux) Fedora 34, using Gnome 40.4.
I have been using FreeFileSync for years, usually without difficulty.
My only use has been to backup the desktop computer to a USB hard disk.

There are five files which no longer exist on the source (desktop computer) and FFS "sees" on the target (USB hard disk) , but says it can not delete them. I therefore get an error for each file every time I run FFS.
The exact error is stated as:
Unable to move <mediapath/filename> to the recycle bin.
G_IO_ERROR_NOT_FOUND: unable to trash file <mediapath/filename>: no such file or directory [g_file_trash]

I tried using terminal to delete the files, even as root, and it did not work.
The system says the files do not exist, yet they come up on directory listings (ls) and they open.

This problem started when I used FFS to attempt to back up updated copies of the file form the computer.

Any ideas?

therube

What are the file names?
Anything "special" with the particular files (like maybe they're a stream, or intermediary files, only visible - sometimes)?

andrewf8

No unusual characters in the filenames. Examples:
KnowledgeAustralia.odt
lists.xls
quotes.odt

I do not know what you mean by being "a stream".
The behavior is NOT intermittent.

xCSxXenon

Is there anything in Linux similar to chkdsk in Windows?

therube

I tried using terminal to delete the files ... and it did not work.
What command & format did you use?
rm lists.xls?
And how did rm respond to that?
The system says the files do not exist
By "system", do you mean FFS (with the message you mentioned above) or some other command/utility that your ran? Which?
yet they come up on directory listings (ls) and they open.
What command line did you use with ls?
Simply, ls, & with that listing (of all files) it also shows these "non-existent" files?

If you, ls "lists.xls", does it return, "lists.xls"?
If you, ls -b "lists.xls", does that show anything different (i.e. other then only, "lists.xls")?
and they open.
How are you opening them?
From "Recent Files" in Open Desktop?
Or can you drag the file into Open Desktop? Or can you File | Open from within Open Desktop?

---

I'd assume that fsck would be the equivalent to Windows CHKDSK? (I'd think that there would be a GUI utility too, but I'm not familiar.)

andrewf8

After using Linux terminal to cd to the correct directory, I used (as an example): rm quotes.odt

Response is: "rm: cannot remove 'quotes.odt': No such file or directory"

By "system", I imply fedora linux itself, via terminal . . . not FFS. I tried using the "Gnome Files" app (which is equivalent to Windross Explorer) first, before using terminal.

The above occurs regardless of whether I am a "regular" user, or superuser/root.
I checked file permissions: user, group and others all have read/write/execute permission.

I can open them in Libre Office by using the "Gnome Files" app. After opening them, I can edit them and save the edits. It is odd that Libre Office can "see" them yet I get the above response from the rm command.

The files which I can not delete are listed when using ls command (no options).
Stating "ls <filename>" results in the correct response; no change.
No, "ls -b" does not produce a different result.

I do not have nor know what "Open Desktop" is.
If I try to drag it in Gnome Files to the Trash, I get the same response as when using the rm command: No such file or directory.

I tried using fsck on a single directory but it keeps giving me a help message, so I must not understand how to use it correctly. When I tried using it without any options, it told me it would cause severe filesystem damage, so I aborted.