Love to see FFS manages his own credentials (features)

Discuss new features and functions

sevenman

Hello,
I hope you the community doing great. I'm using your application in my everyday use.
freefilesync uses the credentials which are in credential manager in windows.

But it should use the credentials saves in freefilesync only and encrypted, so that we can be safe from any accident like ransomware or any type of infection.
So, I can backup my important files where my PC don't have access. I got this idea from a giant company called "veeam windows agent" its a windows backupper.
https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

The location is shown in the shared folder box doesn't have access from my PC. but the veeam agent using his own credential to connect that share.

Plerry

Unfortunately, for any given Windows user, Windows can only connect to a given network resource (e.g. \\HOME-PC ) under one set of credentials at a time.
I would be curious to see what happens if different credentials than those stored in the Credential Manager are entered in the mentioned tool.

sevenman

Unfortunately, for any given Windows user, Windows can only connect to a given network resource (e.g. \\HOME-PC ) under one set of credentials at a time.
I would be curious to see what happens if different credentials than those stored in the Credential Manager are entered in the mentioned tool. Plerry, 13 Oct 2021, 14:40
but the veeam agent using his own credential to connect that share. sevenman, 13 Oct 2021, 11:31
i know windows blocking multi-user in a single smb share.
But The tool has its own credential handling. FFS devs can probably know this tool already.

NOTE: HOME-PC is not a windows PC. don't be mislead. its a QNAP file storage.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 793 times

sevenman

Is there anything devs think about this thread?
when ransomware attacks my backup file in the remote location is safe in the mentioned idea. otherwise, ransomware can damage my backup files too.

xCSxXenon

That risk is mitigated by air-gapping the backup