FFS issues: Slow down of source PC & Slow transfer speeds

Get help for specific problems

bunnybat

I love FFS!

I use FFS 6.3 on My win 8 laptop PC to mirror files from my desktop PC running win 8.

Recently I noticed that the transfer rates are very slow (25% of what it used to be). Moreover when FFS is running in the laptop PC, the source PC (desktop) gets slowed down. It seems odd because I am just mirroring the files in it.

Both the PCs run Kaspersky internet security. Does it have anything to do with this issue?

One more thing... Every time I try to sync, I get this pop-up: "Warning: "Cannot create directory lock for ... (the folder I try to sync). Cannot write file ffs_lock. Error code 5: Access denied (Create file)." I think this is because I have given only 'read' permission to my shared drive (and not'change' permission). I presume that this should not affect a 'mirror' sync. If I ignore this warning, sync does start, however it is slow. But, is this the reason for it being slow?

Pretty confused!

Could somebody please help me out...

blues12

I love FFS!

I use FFS 6.3 on My win 8 laptop PC to mirror files from my desktop PC running win 8.

Recently I noticed that the transfer rates are very slow (25% of what it used to be). Moreover when FFS is running in the laptop PC, the source PC (desktop) gets slowed down. It seems odd because I am just mirroring the files in it.

Both the PCs run Kaspersky internet security. Does it have anything to do with this issue?

One more thing... Every time I try to sync, I get this pop-up: "Warning: "Cannot create directory lock for ... (the folder I try to sync). Cannot write file ffs_lock. Error code 5: Access denied (Create file)." I think this is because I have given only 'read' permission to my shared drive (and not'change' permission). I presume that this should not affect a 'mirror' sync. If I ignore this warning, sync does start, however it is slow. But, is this the reason for it being slow?

Pretty confused!

Could somebody please help me out...bunnybat
Interesting. Could you provide a ballpark figure in seconds or minutes for a certain number and total size of files?

"25% of what it used to be" doesn't give me a a benchmark figure because I am new to FFS. But I also noticed a considerably lower speed compared ot other tools I had used previously. However, in my case the slow processing only happens during the Compare-stage. Once I start the Sync itself, the transfer of the file themselves seems normal.

bunnybat

My usual speed was approximately 1MB/s. Now, it is 100-200KB/s even during syncing...

blues12

Afraid I cant help you out. My transfer speeds vary a lot, depending on USB-sticks, and also on the number of files, many small files take much longer than a few big ones.

I also noticed that running the same profile twice results in much faster Compare-speed. Only the first go-around takes a lot of time to bring up the compare list.

Plerry

Your error message seems to suggest you do not have the proper rights.
Try running FFS with elevated rights, e.g. as Admin.

bunnybat

Update! Problem solved to a major extent!

I did a factory reset of my router and then started FFS. Voila! The speed is terrific 2.33MB/s (double my usual rate). Moreover the CopyFileEx error which I was experiencing also got solved!

Jumping with joy!!!

The only issue now is that the source PC is slightly slow while the sync is in progress.
Site Admin

Zenju

> The only issue now is that the source PC is slightly slow while the sync is in progress.

If being able to continue working while synchronizing in the background is more important for you than synchronization speed you can enable global option "RunWithBackgroundPriority"; see help file chapter "Expert Settings".