Can sync dot-prefixed (invisible) directory, but not files, except inside directory...

Get help for specific problems

PatrickT

I often backup my settings. I've had no problem in the past backing up invisible files and directories. But today I was unable to sync dot-prefixed files that reside in my HOME directory. While I hadn't tried to sync invisible files from my HOME directory before, I expected it to work. To be specific:

OK:

MacBookPro/Users/PatrickT/.config ---> /Volumes/HDD/configs/.config

where '.config' is a directory. Invisible files inside that invisible directory also get synced correctly. Warnings produced, but they can be ignored.

NOT OK:

MacBookPro/Users/PatrickT/.zshrc ---> /Volumes/HDD/configs/.zshrc

This copies an empty directory named '.zshrc' in the target location, instead of copying the source file.

It also produces an error message:

Cannot open directory "/Users/PatrickT/.CFUserTextEncoding".

ENOTDIR: Not a directory [opendir]

Because these invisible files reside in my HOME directory, it wouldn't be a solution to sync the entire HOME directory (MacBookPro/Users/PatrickT --> /Volumes/HDD/HOME): while it would work, it would sync gigabytes of data I do not want to sync!

Suggestions Welcome!

MacOS Catalina 10.15.4, latest FFS.

Plerry

If syncing your entire HOME directory works or would work,
you can use that and still limit the scope of your sync to the relevant part(s) of your HOME directory by using appropriately configured Include and/or Exclude filters.
The optimal filter configuration (including , excluding or a combination of both) depends on your specific case.

PatrickT

Hi Plerry, that TOTALLY WORKED. Thanks!

For the record, I included the entire HOME directory for sync-ing, with the following filter:

Include:

Exclude:
*\

I hope that's the correct way. It's working for me anyways.

References: https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=exclude-items