Version 10.25 - New file tree layout for main grid is mostly whitespace

Discuss new features and functions

JDB

I have to drop back to the previous version.

I have many deep directories, and mostly I just see whitespace now after running a COMPARE. It's very confusing to attempt to determine what the differences are, and what's going to be copied or not.

Perhaps some people like the new layout, but I wish that the OLD layout could still be available as an option.

I would rather see full pathnames instead of whitespace and dangling thin lines. The Relative Path doesn't contain enough information to tell where a file lives. Please change the Relative Path column to FULL path.

-JDB

VladimirII

Hello I just tried the new 10.25, comming mainly from 8 and 9.

I would go as far to say it´s a necessity to be able to turn off the tree layout. At least to alaign everything flat to the left.

I agree to JDB reasons. Plus adding, I´m using it with a 5:4 (1280x1024) screen mainly and most files are to long to alaign stright under each other. To long filenames are peaking into the left white area and the use of the tree is gone, in contrary it´s worse.

---------EDIT
Choosing view 'element name' looks for me like before.

richardw

I agree... i like the new layout, but would be nice to select tree view or not.
ALSO, with 10.25, i miss the ability to select a folder in the OVERVIEW area on the left and have the effected files marked on the right frame with the blue highlighting to the left of the effected items. I use that often to confirm i'm operating on the files i think i should. I hope this feature will be restored.
Thank you.

VladimirII

Oh, another feature that´s lost with 10.25. Bad really bad how this update went. This major change should have needed more reality testing.

Zenju, I think you should seriously consider to recall this update or release a 10.25b without tree layout, before losing more reputation and support. Until there is a proper solution. Would be sad to lose such a good piece of software through a mistake like that in the end. If I donate now I would want 10.24 and would not paying for a tree layout only version.

phhowe17

Remember you can disable the new interface by right clicking the header bar and selecting Item Name in each of the panes.

VladimirII

Only as long as I don´t need the filepath or relative filepath. Thus, NO.

The highlighting goes from right to left now. In our language we are reading from left to right hence we look from left to right. To adjust to it, a little maybe. Highlight where the size and time stamp is located isn´t that usefull as at the point where the filename begins.

richardw

thanks for the highlighting info. i see it (i had to pull the scroll bar over).
i usually need the scroll bar to see all the information without truncation. i'm usually most interested in the first part of the file, but i can get that from the Overview area. i'll try it more and see what i think. thank you.
Regarding the tree view. Thank you. i see "item name".

pooper

Just registered here to say I'm also forced to rollback to 10.24.

This tree layout is very confusing, and much, much more difficult to visually crawl.
FWIW, using a 1920x1080 monitor. And indeed, for the rare lines that don't fit so where the names are pushed to the left, it's getting even worse, if that was possible.

@phhowe17, your solution can't be considered as a suitable workaround, as it completely hides the paths...

randomofamber

Remember you can disable the new interface by right clicking the header bar and selecting Item Name in each of the panes. phhowe17, 15 Jul 2020, 22:51
But there are missing path of folders. It will be super, when in Item Name view will be foders shown with paths...