Beyond Compare Treeview as guide

Discuss new features and functions

bofh

Hi all,

the option to exclude a folder by hitting space and to collapse/expand folders should be possible in FreeFileSync. Besides, I think Beyond Compare has a clean layout so it might serve as a guide.

In Beyond Compare, every folder is shown on a line, even if it exists on both sides.

This way, I can do important things:

1. Let a folder be collapsed if I know that I don't need to peek into it's contents. There are folders where I know that no manual intervention is necessary. So why should I look at it's contents?

2. Exclude temporarily a whole folder. Consider an folder existing on both sides with 100 large temporary files on one side. I know the temp files will be deleted soon so I don't want to sync them. Currently, I had to exclude each of them separately because the folder itself isn't shown.

Oliver

xCSxXenon

Temporary exclude is already implemented with space-bar or right-click menu. The folder collapse/expand is an interesting idea though

bofh

Temporary exclude is already implemented with space-bar or right-click menu.xCSxXenon, 10 Aug 2020, 15:23
That's what I wrote.

What I wanted to point out is that FreeFileync doesn't show you the folder if it already exists on both sides so you can't exclude the whole folder with a single action.

xCSxXenon

If FFS doesn't show you the folder, they are the same, and thus no possible reason to exclude it. Unless you're referring to just being able to look at the directory anyway, but just use file explorer if that's the case

bofh

If FFS doesn't show you the folder, they are the same, and thus no possible reason to exclude it.xCSxXenon, 10 Aug 2020, 17:02
That's not true. Please read again what I described as case 2 and try it yourself.
FFS_nofolder.png
FFS_nofolder.png (85.12 KiB) Viewed 982 times

therube

100 large temporary files on one side ... I had to exclude each of them separately
I'll assume you know that you can select the 1st file, hold down shift, & the 100th file, then exclude all 100 at once.
the folder itself isn't shown
True.

xCSxXenon

I was addressing the first section regarding exclusions.
Also, you can click 'foo' and it will auto select the folder and contents, then exclude temporarily. You could also exclude *.tmp/*.log or other temp file types. Hopefully the temp files are creating them with an appropriate extension

bofh

Also, you can click 'foo' and it will auto select the folder and contents, then exclude temporarily.xCSxXenon, 10 Aug 2020, 20:46
In my screenshot, you can't select "foo". You can only select foo/baz10.txt

That's the problem and that's the reason of my post.

I don't need hints for workarounds - I'm already working around all the time.

I just wanted to propose an improvement.

xCSxXenon

That's not right. I can select the top level folder and it propagates to its contents. We are both using relative path as well, I don't know what is happening with yours