Size conflict when sync with sharepoint

Get help for specific problems

uknowx5

Hello I have a problem.

The window on the left is a
windows folder, the window on the right is a folder on my computer that syncs with Sharepoint.

When I start the synchronization, it copies me from left to right correctly. I do this process every night. But I see that, if I don't make any changes, after a while it marks them as "show conflicts".

It must be that sharepoint adds a few small bytes when uploading it to its cloud, but there is really no change.

How can I make it only synchronize by date and not by size?
Attachments
Screenshot_14.jpg
Screenshot_14.jpg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 12387 times

therube

(All I will say is that is an absurd thing for it to do, SharePoint Modifies Files on its Own.)

uknowx5

is it absurd that sharepoint does it or absurd my proposal that there is an option that synchronizes by date of modification?
Site Admin

Zenju

is it absurd that sharepoint does it or absurd my proposal that there is an option that synchronizes by date of modification? uknowx5, 18 Aug 2022, 09:54
Sharepoint obviously. It's like you put your precious art collection in a store house and they scribble all over it with a pencil to help with their bookkeeping. I can't fathom how Microsoft developers came to the conclusion that this is "OK".

uknowx5

Oh okay thanks.
As a curiosity, this does not happen with Onedrive. I have another folder synced only with Onedrive and I have no problems.

David.P

Hello all,

I can confirm this exact behavior of SharePoint vs. OneDrive.

Unfortunately, this means that I will probably have to switch from FreeFileSync to another sync tool that can handle this issue. I'd rather not do that though, as I like the speed, ease of use and uncluttered UI of FreeFileSync so much.

Is there a workaround available already, or are there any plans to add a "Compare" mode that ignores file size?

David.P

As an update, this is what the SharePoint sync looks for me when someone has renamed 1 or 2 folders on the local server...

And that's only about a third of the length of the FreeFileSync preview window.

Is that probably all down to SharePoint changing the file sizes online?

Perhaps it is possible to somehow get a handle on this problem via the database? For example, by saving which files are considered identical despite their different sizes?

2023-11-24_100155.png
2023-11-24_100155.png (313.52 KiB) Viewed 11891 times

xCSxXenon

As an update, this is what the SharePoint sync looks for me when someone has renamed 1 or 2 folders on the local server...

And that's only about a third of the length of the FreeFileSync preview window.

Is that probably all down to SharePoint changing the file sizes online?

Perhaps it is possible to somehow get a handle on this problem via the database? For example, by saving which files are considered identical despite their different sizes?

2023-11-24_100155.png David.P, 24 Nov 2023, 09:14
This is unrelated to the thread topic. That long list is likely showing a 'move' action for each of those files, since the parent folder name is changed. It's hard to know exactly because that picture is super duper low resolution

David.P

This is unrelated to the thread topic. That long list is likely showing a 'move' action for each of those files, since the parent folder name is changed.xCSxXenon, 24 Nov 2023, 19:29
Puh, if it's unrelated, the problem is even more severe since then it is implied that FFS shows 2 times 500 files as changed when actually only the parent folder containing those 500 files has been renamed.

That true?

xCSxXenon

This is unrelated to the thread topic. That long list is likely showing a 'move' action for each of those files, since the parent folder name is changed.xCSxXenon, 24 Nov 2023, 19:29
Puh, if it's unrelated, the problem is even more severe since then it is implied that FFS shows 2 times 500 files as changed when actually only the parent folder containing those 500 files has been renamed.

That true? David.P, 24 Nov 2023, 20:03
It's not showing them as 'changed', it's showing them as 'moved'. Which they kind of are, they used to be in "X:\Folder1\OldFolderName" and now they are in "X:\Folder1\NewFolderName". FFS has to represent that those files are changing paths somehow and saying that they are "moving" is the chosen way

David.P

True, but I wished there was a better way of showing that just a folder's name has changed, other than showing each single of the 500 unchanged files contained in that folder two times as "changed" in different places...