Sync to encryped folder to then sync to the cloud

Discuss new features and functions

Webguy1

I have 1tb of adobe online storage. I can copy any files I want to a specific folder on my laptop, then those files will be automatically synced to the adobe cloud.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't trust the cloud.

My idea is this: have FFS copy some important files (such as my outlook pst) to that folder. But have everything copied to that folder encrypted, so when they are copied to the cloud they are secure.

Is there an automated way in Windows 11 to automatically encrypt every file in a folder, when it is copied into there by FFS?

xCSxXenon

You can create an encrypted/compressed folder with 7zip, and then just add files to the encrypted archive manually. There is now way to do that with FFS though.

Plerry

A couple of years ago I used BoxCryptor for that purpose.
They still exist, and there is even a free version (for personal use).
Check them out.
At least then, it worked perfectly together with FreeFileSync.

Webguy1

Check them out.
At least then, it worked perfectly together with FreeFileSync. Plerry, 11 Oct 2022, 09:48
This looks like a perfect solution.
Custom Locations

If your favorite cloud is not listed as a supported provider or if you want to encrypt a specific folder on your machine, you can add those as well:

Right-click the Boxcryptor tray icon → Settings → Locations → Add and then choose your very own location.

xCSxXenon

Check them out.
At least then, it worked perfectly together with FreeFileSync. Plerry, 11 Oct 2022, 09:48
Interesting... Does this service then make the data unreadable/unusable if you lose access to that service? For example, if I use this to encrypt the data I send to OneDrive, can I still go to OneDrive in a browser to get the files? Their website/videos don't really explain that aspect

Plerry

@xCSxXenon
BoxCryptor used to work (and I suppose still does) work with encryption at file level.
Therefore it is a near ideal companion to FreeFileSync, which also works at file-level.
The free version encrypts the file-content, but not the file-name;
the paid version also is able to encrypt the file names.
See e.g. also here.

If you set up things correctly, in cloud location(s)file at least file content is encrypted.
You can download your files (in encrypted form) again from the cloud to a BoxCryptor folder, from which you can read and edit it as a normal file.
For decrypting, you obviously need to have BoxCryptor installed or at least have the encryption key retained on-line or locally.

Webguy1

Does this service then make the data unreadable/unusable if you lose access to that service? xCSxXenon, 11 Oct 2022, 14:48
They address this in an FAQ:
https://support.boxcryptor.com/en/help/faq-and-troubleshooting/windows/#what-if-boxcryptor-goes-out-of-business
What happens if Boxcryptor goes out of business?

Boxcryptor has been designed in such a way that Boxcryptor continues to work even if the Boxcryptor servers are not available and you're still signed into Boxcryptor. If you want to take additional precautions for the event that the Boxcryptor servers would go permanently offline, you must have the following backups:

Exported key file
Boxcryptor installer file

When these files are available, you will always be able to access your encrypted files on your own on any supported operating system - without any connection to any server. The exported key file contains all encryption keys associated with your Boxcryptor account. Important: As new keys might be added over time by Boxcryptor's integrated key management (e.g. when sharing files with other Boxcryptor users), it is recommended to regularly export a new key file.

After installing Boxcryptor, you can use the exported key file to access your encrypted files using a local account. Learn more about exporting your keys and local accounts.

xCSxXenon

I missed that! Keeping a backup of the key and retaining an installer is fine, you probably know what you are doing if you get to this type of service. What I don't like is this:
Important: As new keys might be added over time by Boxcryptor's integrated key management (e.g. when sharing files with other Boxcryptor users), it is recommended to regularly export a new key file.
In combination with:
Exporting your keys is not necessary for using Boxcryptor offline. If you have already been signed into your Boxcryptor account, you can use Boxcryptor offline without any problems. Your keys are already synced to your device.
Sounds like it will always have the an up to date key, but the idea of them going offline or defunct and then discovering your key is too old and wasn't updating for some reason is something to consider. Granted, as with all important data, you wouldn't be storing your only copy encrypted in the cloud lol

Cool service!