Feature request: Save Snapshots of a directory for later usage

Discuss new features and functions

Mewto

Thanks for the awesome software.

Is it possible to add a feature that will save a directory and all the relevant data such as file time, size and CRC as a snapshot?

My use case is as follows:

I have a flash drive that I copied a directory to. I leave it at a friend's house as an off-site backup. Since I no longer have the drive, I do not know what changed since then. I would like to copy only the new files to a separate drive.

To do so, I load the snapshot, compare my current directory against it, then copy all the new files to the second drive.

Please let me know if I need to provide more info. Thanks.

xCSxXenon

That isn't something that can be done in FFS. You could use the "time span" option to only sync files in the last x days though.

Mewto

That isn't something that can be done in FFS. You could use the "time span" option to only sync files in the last x days though. xCSxXenon, 06 Apr 2023, 15:21
Is it a limitation of the code itself? Thanks

xCSxXenon

Isn't every non-existent feature a limitation of the code?

Mewto

Isn't every non-existent feature a limitation of the code? xCSxXenon, 07 Apr 2023, 15:40
My bad. I misinterpreted your comment. I assumed that there is a technical limitation that prevents FreeFileSync from adding that feature.

xCSxXenon

Gotcha! I just meant it isn't a feature in FFS

Mewto

Gotcha! I just meant it isn't a feature in FFS xCSxXenon, 08 Apr 2023, 14:56
Yeah got it. Thanks! I just think that it would be nice to have it.