Resetting archive attribute on copied files

Discuss new features and functions

mike-austin

I am finding FFS a very useful utility - fast & reliable. It replaces some laborious batch files that I use to sync with. However, what I would like to see is an option to reset the archive attribute on copied files. This would allow me to quickly check if I need to perform any synch at all on a drive.

bvm42

I'll second this. It wouldn't necessarily make sense on a two-way sync operation, but on Mirror or Update it would be great.

Synchronizator

[...]
an option to reset the archive attribute on copied files
[...] mike-austin, 24 Jan 2014, 14:10
[...]
It wouldn't necessarily make sense on a two-way sync operation, but on Mirror or Update it would be great. bvm42, 19 Mar 2015, 23:25
So you guys are talking about resetting of the Archive attribute on the original files and not on the newly created copies?

Are there any plans to this being implemented?

It seems that it would need to be in order to tackle this conundrum: viewtopic.php?t=10431
Last edited by Synchronizator on 18 Aug 2023, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Synchronizator

[...]
So you guys are talking about resetting of the Archive attribute on the original files and not on the newly created copies?

Are there any plans to this being implemented?
[...] Synchronizator, 15 Jul 2023, 12:41
Well?
Last edited by Synchronizator on 18 Aug 2023, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

xCSxXenon

Sounds like there are no plans for implementing this

therube

Just yesterday, I put in an update of a program.
Before doing so, I copied the program's "Profile folder" (as a backup).
In the existing Profile folder, I removed the archive attributes of the files within; ATTRIB -A *

Almost immediately, I did something in that updated program that I should not have done.
With that, I thought I may have screwed up my settings.
Knowing if I actually closed the program, my settings would update, & be screwed up, so I decided to kill the program instead.

In doing so, all I had to do was to look at the archive attributes of the files in the Profile folder, & seeing none set, & with that I knew my settings had not updated anything, & the inadvertent changes I made weren't going to screw me up.

(If not for the archive attribute, or lack thereof, I would have had to look more closely, file size/date & or done actually comparisons between the Profile folder & the backed up copy.)

(Now do realize that none of this is an end-all, because in the malware world, the malware may intentionally change or reset an Attribute, date... to hide its presence.)