FTP Connection was reset

Get help for specific problems

picosan

I'm trying to backup via FTP.
Whilst I'm able to initially connect, to pick a folder for example, i very quickly run into an error:
Recv failure: Connection was reset [curl_easy_perform]

The FTP provider told me:
"your FTP connection was blocked by the firewall by triggering the below rule:
GPL FTP RNFR overflow attempt
https://snort.org/rule_docs/1-3077
"
Is there anything to be done?
As a side note, via WinSCP I can connect on port 21 with explicit ssl (certificate shows TLS1.3 is used).
Via freefilesync I can only connect with encryption disabled.
Site Admin

Zenju

FTP is generally unsafe, as it sends all data in plain text
That's obviously not true when the connection is encrypted by setting "Explicit SSL/TLS". When you're able to pick a folder this means you've successfully connected to the server.

Perhaps "Snort" is simply blocking "RNFR"?
The RNFR command is issued when an FTP client wants to rename a file on the server

picosan

I was unable to connect with "Explicit SSL/TLS" (even though I can do so via WinSCP)?
Site Admin

Zenju

I was unable to connect with "Explicit SSL/TLS" (even though I can do so via WinSCP)? picosan, 09 Mar 2024, 12:20
Whilst I'm able to initially connect, to pick a folderpicosan, 08 Mar 2024, 14:57
Now, what is it?

picosan

Now, what is it? Zenju, 09 Mar 2024, 12:27
As per my first post: Via freefilesync I can only connect with encryption disabled.

John1234

Normally port 21 is reserved for unencrypted connections via traditional FTP. Perhaps you can ask the admin if there is a separate SFTP encrypted port number such as 22 for example. 22 is the longstanding default for encryption over SSH which gives you SFTP an encrypted FTP connection.

I use a higher port # to deter hackers.