Comparison Error

Get help for specific problems

HBoyter

I get this error sequence. How the two folders can be different is beyond me. However, if I just delete the folder on G:, it still gives me the error. Any suggestions?

Folder pair: C:\AAFiles2 <-> G:\My Drive\AFiles
Desk Folder\Masters\Ditto.zdb: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Fiber Release During Laundering-Accelerated (DRAFT 04122018).docx: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Insurance Numbers.doc: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\iTunes Library.itl: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\iTunes Music Library.xml: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\MagazinesScores.lnk: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\What to Do When a Loved One Dies.pdf: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Address Books\ACT! DB 4'2011.xls: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Address Books\ACT! Old.xlsx: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Address Books\Address Book.pdf: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Address Books\contacts.csv: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.
Desk Folder\Masters\Address Books\CS Contacts.CBK: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.

xCSxXenon

If FFS is still finding the files on G, are you sure you deleted the correct items?
You could also try running 'chkdsk /f G:\" from an administrator command prompt
Site Admin

Zenju

Deleting files doesn't help with regards to this error, because a "file deleted" is also a "change" compared to the time when the last sync ran.

xCSxXenon

Deleting files doesn't help with regards to this error, because a "file deleted" is also a "change" compared to the time when the last sync ran. Zenju, 02 Jun 2024, 08:13
Ah, I wasn't aware of this! That could be slightly confusing though, because FFS allows you to set custom actions depending on what change occurs. 'Update' and 'Delete' are different line items in this settings panel, so I assumed the explicitly set setting for deletions would supersede. But then again, updating a file also has an explicitly set action as well.
I wonder if it's worth pursuing more verbose messages. I know that the comparison window shows "Item exists on left only", but it would be nice if the conflict message and sync log could also say something like "Conflict: Item was updated on the left but deleted on the right".
Site Admin

Zenju

I assumed the explicitly set setting for deletions would supersede. But then again, updating a file also has an explicitly set action as well. xCSxXenon, 02 Jun 2024, 14:56
Exactly. The above conflict only occurs if the directions for "update on left" and for "delete on right" do not agree. Had they agreed, it wouldn't have been a conflict.
Before OP deleted the right folder, most likely the directions set up for "update on left" and for "update on right" did not align, therefore also a conflict.

I wonder if it's worth pursuing more verbose messages. I know that the comparison window shows "Item exists on left only", but it would be nice if the conflict message and sync log could also say something like "Conflict: Item was updated on the left but deleted on the right". xCSxXenon, 02 Jun 2024, 14:56
I'm wondering this too. There are four cases that can lead to the above conflict (if the sync directions for left/right category are different):
left   |  right
-------|-------
update | update
update | delete
delete | update
create | create
Next logical question would be, what exactly is the difference when an "updated" file is detected? Is it file size and/or date, and what were the exact values? Could indeed become quite verbose.

xCSxXenon

Next logical question would be, what exactly is the difference when an "updated" file is detected? Is it file size and/or date, and what were the exact values? Could indeed become quite verbose. Zenju, 02 Jun 2024, 19:40
I think the exact values are less important than just presenting what change was detected on each side.
left   |  right
-------|-------
update | update
"Conflict: Both sides have updated since last sync."

update | delete
"Conflict: Left side has been updated but right side has been deleted."

delete | update
"Conflict: Right side has been updated but left side has been deleted."

create | create
"Conflict: New files have been created on both sides"
For the "create/create" conflict, maybe implementing content comparison could remedy it automatically. If they content compare as identical, just update to the newer timestamp. This would have a drawback of being much slower for large files though.