Is it possible to make FreeFileSync create duplicate files?

Get help for specific problems

Miss_M

Hi :-)

I wonder if it is possible to make FreeFileSync create duplicates?

I just got a photo ruin by bit rot and FreeFileSync copied over the good photo on my backup drive with the bad file.

So i wonder if it is possible to set FreeFileSync to create a duplicate if the files has different sizes and dates?
In windows it create a filename(1).end and in linux its stop copying and asks for what to do. Sadly linucx can not do as windows and just do same action on all files and create a duplicate.. But that is another topic for another forum.

But my question is if it is possible to change something in FreeFileSync so it always create a copy/duplicate if the source file has different size or date?

xCSxXenon

You want versioning
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=versioning

You should also consider implementing a proper backup solution. 3-2-1 strategy isn't perfect if we nitpick, but it is incredibly better than the average person has or needs.

Miss_M

You want versioning
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=versioning

You should also consider implementing a proper backup solution. 3-2-1 strategy isn't perfect if we nitpick, but it is incredibly better than the average person has or needs. xCSxXenon, 02 Jun 2024, 15:04
Thanks for the link, i will look in to it and do a lab test to only modify size but not timestamp on the file to see the versioning works. :-)

I have a three step backup... first to my server from my computers, then i backup the server to external disks and those also get backed up offsite.

I did fortunately saw it after the first backup, so i could get the picture back from server backup disks.
But if i hadn't seen it, it had become a domino effect where all disks had been effected.
So from now i will not use FreeFileSync from the server to the external disks until i can see FreeFileSync can create duplicates if the file size has changed but not time.. as bit rot often changes the filesize even the date are unchanged.

therube

as bit rot often changes the filesize even the date are unchanged
Not that I know, particularly, but I'd think that, odd.

Miss_M

as bit rot often changes the filesize even the date are unchanged
Not that I know, particularly, but I'd think that, odd. therube, 03 Jun 2024, 16:22
I will look in to it when i get a bit more time. :-)