Sync order ?

Get help for specific problems

mickiete

Does the order in which they sync go from top of list to bottom, or does it do it in any order ?

xCSxXenon

Deletions before updates/creations
Files before folders
A to Z (Alphabetical)

mickiete

Thanks.
Site Admin

Zenju

Files before folders
A to Z (Alphabetical) xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 19:39
Not quite true, let me clarify:

Deletions before updates/creations xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 19:39
"Everything that reduces disk space" before "everything that increases disk space". I.e. deletions, and "overwrites of a big file by a smaller one" happen before creations and "overwrites of a small file by a bigger one".

Files before folders xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 19:39
The folders containing files obviously need to be created first. If both files and folders need to be created inside an existing folder, then there is no precedence.

No, only the display list is shown alphabetically, but this has nothing to do with sync sequence.

xCSxXenon

Files before folders
Not quite true, let me clarify:

Deletions before updates/creations xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 19:39
"Everything that reduces disk space" before "everything that increases disk space". I.e. deletions, and "overwrites of a big file by a smaller one" happen before creations and "overwrites of a small file by a bigger one".

Files before folders xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 19:39
The folders containing files obviously need to be created first. If both files and folders need to be created inside an existing folder, then there is no precedence.

No, only the display list is shown alphabetically, but this has nothing to do with sync sequence. Zenju, 16 Sep 2024, 09:01
My analysis was purely based on what my logs showed, and they were consistent across all of them. Nice to know that any operation that reduces space-used is run first. I say "files before folders" because my logs all show subfolders being created only after the creation of the files in the same location. Of course, the same reasoning goes for why I say it goes A to Z, every log I have does this. Must just be a coincidence lol
So updates/creations are 'completely' random?