Sync from Windows-Share to MTP-Device (Android Phone) sets modified date to sync date

Get help for specific problems

dave_m

Hello,

I am facing the following problem.

I have synchronized some folders from my MTP device (Android Phone) with my Windows folder share via FreeFileSync on Windows.

For other reasons, it was necessary to perform a hard reset of my Android Phone.

After the hard reset, I synced the folders from my Windows folder share back to my MTP device (Android Phone).

The problem is that all the photos have the modified date of the date they were synced back to the phone and the gallery app is now displaying the dates incorrectly because of this.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Regards,
Dave

xCSxXenon

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? dave_m, 13 Sep 2024, 18:47
Nope :c

dave_m

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? dave_m, 13 Sep 2024, 18:47
Nope :c xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 14:14
why not?

xCSxXenon

Because MTP doesn't support it
Site Admin

Zenju

Because MTP doesn't support it xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 20:53
MTP is not the issue, BUT: Google doesn't implement it properly. On some Android phones it works, on others it doesn't, but it isn't a problem with the MTP specification.

FreeFileSync correctly sets the WPD_OBJECT_DATE_MODIFIED attribute, which isn't of much benefit if it is simply ignored by the device. Not fixing this "bug" is most likely a strategic decision by Google so that non-cloud syncs are still supported but don't work "too well".

xCSxXenon

Because MTP doesn't support it xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 20:53
MTP is not the issue, BUT: Google doesn't implement it properly. On some Android phones it works, on others it doesn't, but it isn't a problem with the MTP specification. Zenju, 16 Sep 2024, 09:13
This is true! For me and many others, it has essentially evolved into an MTP issue for all intents and purposes. In the scope of using MTP to sync data between a phone and a computer, saying it isn't supported is much quicker and easier than explaining the intricacies, although not completely accurate. MTP is rarely used elsewhere

John1234

Hi,

I get good results with FFS when using SFTP to sync wirelessly to my phone.

I use a free SFTP server from Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xnano.android.sshserver

Works better that MTP.

Give that a try.
Site Admin

Zenju

saying it isn't supported is much quicker and easier than explaining the intricacies, although not completely accurate. xCSxXenon, 16 Sep 2024, 14:59
Unfortunately that makes it sound as if the issue were with FreeFileSync, when it really is with Google.

And in fact syncing with Android does work correctly in some cases (or even most of the time), so it's wrong to say "MTP isn't supported" in general.

dave_m

Thank you for your answers.

as @John1234 suggested, I will try the SFTP server approach.

John1234

Let me know if you get stuck setting up the SFTP server.
You should add a new user and set a password.
For the Path alias this should work: "Alias:/" and then "/storage/emulated/0". You're phone may differ.