v2 and 2.1 will not start up!

Get help for specific problems

collinr

The latest versions will not start on my work computer. When I double click on FreeFileSync.exe I get an error stating 'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect'. this error does not occur with v1.19 even when uninstalled and reinstalled. V2 works perfectly on my home computer. Both are using Windows XP.
Any ideas why this might be occuring?
Roger
Site Admin

Zenju

The latest versions will not start on my work computer. When I double click on FreeFileSync.exe I get an error stating 'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect'. this error does not occur with v1.19 even when uninstalled and reinstalled. V2 works perfectly on my home computer. Both are using Windows XP.
Rogercollinr
Thanks for the info! I knew this Visual C++ compilation would cause some trouble... :)

The problem is that some .dlls are missing on your work PC. Those are usually provided via "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package" which you might have installed on your home PC, so it's working there.

But please don't install it yet! Let me figure out how to solve this problem, because I don't want the tool to have any prerequisites!

Basically there are two options now:

1. I find a way to statically link the DLLs into the executable
2. I revert back to MinGW compiler

I'll find a solution later this day!

Best regards, Zenju
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks for the info! I knew this Visual C++ compilation would cause some trouble... :)

The problem is that some .dlls are missing on your work PC. Those are usually provided via "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package" which you might have installed on your home PC, so it's working there.

But please don't install it yet! Let me figure out how to solve this problem, because I don't want the tool to have any prerequisites!

Basically there are two options now:

1. I find a way to statically link the DLLs into the executable
2. I revert back to MinGW compiler

I'll find a solution later this day!

Best regards, ZenjuZenju
Hi,

I recompiled using MS Visual C++ 2008 and static runtime library so that there is no need to install anything in order to start the tool.

I don't want to release yet another version, so I replaced the v2.1 build files. You can download them directly from here:

[404, Invalid URL: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/freefilesync/FreeFileSync_v2.1_win32.exe]
[404, Invalid URL: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/freefilesync/FreeFileSync_v2.1_win32.zip]

FreeFileSync now should also run on your work pc without prerequisites!

Best regards, Zenju

collinro

Rogercollinr
Thanks for that! it now works on my work PC.
Cheers, Roger