some ffs info lost when updating from donation edition

Get help for specific problems

geop

I had been running donation editon v 11.29 (I think). Windows 10 fully updated.

On v 11.29, I created two new configs, running the synchronization backup for each. I saved each new config under a relevant name.

Then I decided to do the donation auto-update, to get to v 12.0.

After completion of the update, I noticed:

1. the two new configs have vanished from the program's interface. However, the 2 new ffs_gui files ARE there in the same folder with my original ones.

2. in the interface, the two backups I run daily now show that their last sync was 25 days ago.

I did try exiting and restarting ffs, but it made no difference.

I will delay today's backup, in case there's something else to look at to help in solving this problem.

geop

I've now tried the universal Windows fix of rebooting, but it made no difference.

Plerry

The info you refer to is only saved when you close/terminate FFS in a regular way.
If you kill FFS in a non-regular way, e.g. via the task manager, or by a reboot, that info is not saved.
Likely, running an installation of a new/other version of FFS while FFS is still open also qualifies as such.
Site Admin

Zenju

The info you refer to is only saved when you close/terminate FFS in a regular way. Plerry, 14 Feb 2023, 09:35
That's right, but with exceptions:
If you kill FFS in a non-regular way, [...] by a reboot, that info is not saved. Plerry, 14 Feb 2023, 09:35
It *is* saved on Windows on unexpected reboots. Currently not on Linux/macOS, but that has been implemented already for 12.1.
Likely, running an installation of a new/other version of FFS while FFS is still open also qualifies as such. Plerry, 14 Feb 2023, 09:35
The auto-updater is doing the killing in this case, so this is a TODO for FFS. Changed config should not be lost.

xCSxXenon

It almost sounds like FFS was was using settings/info from a different location than default. Then when it updated, it reset and used the correct location, containing probably outdated information.
Site Admin

Zenju

The auto-updater is doing the killing in this case, so this is a TODO for FFS. Changed config should not be lost. Zenju, 14 Feb 2023, 10:07
Fixed. Implemented for 12.1 across platforms:

• config is preserved during unexpected reboot (Windows, Linux, macOS)
• config is reserved during auto-update (Windows, Linux, macOS)
• config is preserved upon SIGTERM (Linux, macOS)

geop

I'm the OP. OK, so for now, I'll just recreate the two new configs, and their new ffs_gui files will just overwrite the originals (which FFS has not been seeing anyway).

Then, since no info seems to be needed from me about the current state of any FFS files, I'll go ahead and restart my two manual daily mirror syncs. That should fix the days since "Last sync" for those two. The "Last sync" for my other configs are possibly wrong, but that doesn't really matter because the relevant folders are only infrequently touched and therefore I rarely do syncs of those.

Congrats on a great and very useful program!
Site Admin

Zenju

Fixed. Implemented for 12.1 across platforms: Zenju, 14 Feb 2023, 16:59
Correction: Fixed for 12.2. While the changes are implemented in 12.1, they will only come into effect during the 12.2 auto-update.