Can filter settings be externalized from sync and batch files?

Discuss new features and functions

rusted

I am running FreeFileSync on two Windows laptops, with a Ubuntu server (running SAMBA) acting as the go-between, like this:

Windows <=SAMBA=> Ubuntu <=SAMBA=> Windows

I am syncing multiple directories on each laptop via separate .ffs_gui and .ffs_batch files.

I want the exclude filters to be the same in all of these files. The current pain point is that when I need to change the exclude filter I have to modify each .ffs_gui file and re-export to the .ffs_batch file. I want to be able to store the exclude filters in a separate file that is included/referenced in each of the .ffs_gui and .ffs_batch files when they are loaded/executed.

I haven't dug into the source code yet to know what XML parser is being used and what file reference mechanisms might be supported.

Is this possible? Did I miss something in the documentation?

rusted

xCSxXenon

1. You can edit .ffs_batch configs directly
2. Change filters, then save it as the default. Then when you create a new one, it will be the same. You can also edit existing config and set their filters to the new default, propagating changes

rusted

1. You can edit .ffs_batch configs directly
2. Change filters, then save it as the default. Then when you create a new one, it will be the same. You can also edit existing config and set their filters to the new default, propagating changes xCSxXenon, 27 Feb 2023, 22:34
I understand that I can do as you suggest, but it still requires "touching" each config file. I currently am syncing: 3 directories * 2 configs (gui+batch) * 2 laptops = 12 config files (with identical filters). I want to be able to manage a single filter file that gets included into each gui/batch file when loaded.

Along the same lines, it would be nice if the batch file supported a reference to the gui file instead of duplicating all of the same information, similar to how the real-time files reference the batch file, albeit indirectly via the <Commandline>.

I am retired from software development and duplication is a red flag for me, in both code and configuration. Besides, I'm lazy and don't want to have to repeat steps over and over when, IMHO, it should not be necessary.

xCSxXenon

You don't technically need a ffs_gui and a ffs_batch file. Just make ffs_batch configs. The only difference is that double-clicking on the gui config will pop up FFS to run and the batch config won't. Also, why not have one ffs_batch config for all three folders on each laptop? That would reduce your work down to two configs. There is no possible current way to define global filters that automatically propagate when changed.

rusted

Thanks for your reply. Maintaining only the ffs_batch file is a good suggestion. I'll think about combining the folders into a single file. The reason I currently have separate files is because of different synchronization requirements for the different folders.

xCSxXenon

When you have multiple folder pairs in a single config, you can define global and local properties. This actually sounds exactly what you wanted now that I think about it
Site Admin

Zenju

For the record:
It's also possible to right-click on a filter icon to quickly "copy and paste". This even works across different application instances.

xCSxXenon

It's also possible to right-click on a filter icon to quickly "copy and paste". This even works across different application instances. Zenju, 01 Mar 2023, 09:18
Well isn't that nifty