How to get FreeFileSync to recopy any files that got deleted at destination

Get help for specific problems

Ludwig

I'm new to FreeFileSync, so this is probably a bunny question.

I've created a "mirror" sync job and it copied all the detected files over from one computer to another. I then deleted a few and reran the copy expecting the deleted files to reappear - but they do not.

Where do I find the option to have *any* missing files recopied (if need be) from the source location? The documentation says it'll mirror the files from source to destination, but it seems FreeFileSync knows deleted files used to be there so will not recopy them. ie for me that means it's not actually mirroring the source files.
I want the destination to reflect exactly the files in the source location - replacing deleted *or updated* files in the destination folder structure with the "original" ones from source location.

Thanks for your help.

ineuw

If you are syncing to Google Drive, the deleted files will be in the Google Trash folder.

ineuw

If you are syncing to Google Drive, the deleted files will be in the Google Trash folder. Also, the OS saves your deletions, you should look into it.

xCSxXenon

Ignore the other reply, Google Drive / trash has nothing to do with anything.
So you ran a mirror sync, then deleted files from the destination, and then ran the same mirror sync? If so, that should work exactly as expected. Deleting from destination and syncing again will recopy the source files as needed

Ludwig

Thanks for that info xCSxXenon. You set me on finding the cause / effect.

I tested things by running the Sync twice. I have found that you have to close the app and restart it for the files to be replaced. Discovered this because it worked this morning, ie after I logged back into my desktop.

What happens is:
If you run the Sync twice - i.e. press F9, then delete some files, then press F9 in FreeFileSync app again, it finds no differences to resync.

You have to close the app completely, then it will see the differences (i.e. the deleted files).

Is there any way to affect this behaviour so it does recopy/sync without needing to be closed and reopened?

Plerry

> You have to close the app completely, then it will see the differences (i.e. the deleted files).

No, in the FFS GUI, you simply need to run a new Compare.
That is the phase in which FFS determines the proposed sync actions, based on the outcome of the comparison.
And only after that it makes sense to run the new sync (Synchronize).

ineuw

@xCSxXenon, I bow to your superior knowledge. Thanks for the correct info.

xCSxXenon

Plerry is correct! F9 simply runs a synchronization action. F5 is the key to run a compare again.
I remember this topic came up in the past and Zenju chimed in. If I remember correctly, F9 only runs the compare automatically the first time you do it. Subsequent syncs will use the same comparison results until a new compare is ran.

Ludwig

Thanks all for the quick replies. All sorted now. It's a new product for me & hence I have a 'few things' I need to learn.