Error: Unable to move "/run/media/...." to the recycle bin. G_IO_ERROR_FAILED: Trash portal failed on /run/media/... [g_

Get help for specific problems

nPrevail

Screenshot from 2023-03-11 19-11-22.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-11 19-11-22.png (100.32 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Error: Unable to move "/run/media/...." to the recycle bin.
G_IO_ERROR_FAILED: Trash portal failed on /run/media/... [g_file_trash]

--

I don't seem to understand what this error means, and it's happened on different Linux OS drives (all running Fedora), but the conflict seems to always be between the same two drives.

I'm practically trying to mirror sync two HDDs (both are NTFS, both are 5TBs). I use one drive as a daily driver, and the other is a backup.

Any idea what I need to do to fix it? It's getting to the point where I might just have to manually copy these directories and files.

Plerry

Not fully clear what is happening here, but it seems your sync tries to update your
All About The Paper (ADN Edit).wav file
that was already present in your right-side location by the version of that file in your left-side location, that you use the "Recycle bin" as your Delete Files method (in your Sync settings, F8), and that a recycle-bin is not supported on your /run/media/... drive.
Is that an external drive?
If you do not need or want to retain a previous version of any righ-side file, you can select Permanent as your Delete Files method instead.
Conversely, if you do need or want to retain previous versions of any right-side files, use Versioning as your Delete Files method.

nPrevail

So, I played around with it... and here's what strangely worked.

Whenever this error came up:
Error: Unable to move "/run/media/...." to the recycle bin.
G_IO_ERROR_FAILED: Trash portal failed on /run/media/... [g_file_trash]

Quitting and restarting FreeFileSync allowed me to sync the files, and this error wouldn't show up for certain directories of files. I had to quit and restart multiple times to get all my directories and files to synchronize. So this error might effect per directory.
Is that an external drive?
Yes, I'm syncing between two external drives. I'll try permanent deletion for these two drives. But I've actually like the idea of using the recycle bin, in case I made mistakes in my syncing.

Plerry

> Yes, I'm syncing between two external drives.

External drives generally do not have Recycle bins. Or in some cases (e.g. some NASs) they do have a Recycle bin, but not one the OS system of the system running FFS is aware of.
In those case, the OS does not see a Recycle bin, and thus can not move deleted or overwritten files there.

> But I've actually like the idea of using the recycle bin, in case I made mistakes in my syncing.

As per my previous reply: you can use the FFS Versioning feature for that.

xCSxXenon

Quitting and restarting FreeFileSync allowed me to sync the files, and this error wouldn't show up for certain directories of files. I had to quit and restart multiple times to get all my directories and files to synchronize. So this error might effect per directory. nPrevail, 13 Mar 2023, 16:47
That's weird. If it keeps happening, it sounds like something related to file locks, like the OS/FFS is holding a file and that's why it can't get deleted.