New sync mode

Get help for specific problems

opseua

Hello, first I would like to congratulate you for the excellent program!

I'm not sure if it's a FreeFileSync error or incorrect configuration...

Let's imagine that I have 'FOLDER_A' and 'FOLDER_B' and I want the two to always be identical

The 'Two way' option cannot replace the oldest files from 'FOLDER_A' with the newest ones from 'FOLDER_B'. Whenever I try to use RealTimeSync it gives the error 'both sides have changed since last synchronization' and I need to open FreeFileSync to decide manually what should be done (it can't decide automatically).

While the 'Custom' option that manages to update the oldest files from 'FOLDER_A' with the new ones from 'FOLDER_B' (automatically by RealTimeSync) cannot identify deleted files, and ends up creating the deleted file again in the same folder.

There is a way to implement in the program an option that does it together (also by RealTimeSync ignoring errors and deciding automatically):

1 - copy the file from 'FOLDER_A' to 'FOLDER_B' if it doesn't exist (and vice versa)
2 - update the old file from 'PASTA_A' by the newest one from 'PASTA_B' (and vice versa)
3 - remove the file from 'FOLDER_A' if it has been deleted from 'FOLDER_B' (and vice versa)

I use Windows 11 x64 and FreeFileSync_12.1_[Donation_Edition]

Thanks

Plerry

Your post is a bit confusing, because you write RealTimeSync (RTS), where the pictures and problems you describe concern FreeFileSync (FFS).

A FFS TwoWay sync does exactly what you describe under 1), 2) and 3), provided that under 2), you read the "newest" file as: the file that changed the latest. But be aware that when you e.g. restore a previous version of a file from a backup in FOLDER_A, that can/will be the latest change, although the file-date of that restored version me precede that of the same file in FOLDER_B.
For a somewhat elaborate description on how exactly a FFS TwoWay sync works, see here.

> 'both sides have changed since last synchronization'
You only get this message if file-size and/or file-date/time have changed at both ends from the values stored at the end of the previous run sync.
This may be self-inflicted, but also some anti-virus (AV) programs have a habit of changing file size and/or dates.
Try running a FFS sync, and directly afterwards run a new Compare in FFS (this makes sure you have not manually changed any of the files). If you still see the problem, it may be caused by your AV.