Feature Request: SyncToy-liked sub-folders select/de-select

Discuss new features and functions

willho

I don't know if this is the right place for feature submission but I am trying.

I used to be a MS SyncToy user and since it was unsupported in Windows 11 (causing lots of errors), I searched for replacement and found that FreeFileSync is the best replacement. As a SyncToy user before, I found one feature that I long to have and would recommend for FreeFileSync, that is, the ability to select/de-select sub-folders (nested as well) for syncing with a file-manager-liked interface. I know that one can use filter to include / exclude sub-folders but that require copy and past of sub-folder names to the filter box and that is time consuming and not user friendly at all.

Thank you.

xCSxXenon

You can run a compare, then select folders to temporarily exclude from the results. This can be done from the 'overview' pane in the bottom left or from the main results list. You can select an iten and hit spacebar, or right-click for exclude and other actions.

willho

You can run a compare, then select folders to temporarily exclude from the results. This can be done from the 'overview' pane in the bottom left or from the main results list. You can select an iten and hit spacebar, or right-click for exclude and other actions. xCSxXenon, 19 Mar 2023, 16:10
Thank you for your suggestion. This is not what I want. I have sub-folders within many main folders which I don't think they will ever get updated, e.g. bank statements for which I have closed the account. I wanted to have those permanently to be excluded. I wanted these exclusions be saved in the configuration setting.

Plerry

As described by xCSxXenon, after running a Compare , you can right click a file or folder and then select to temporarily, but also to permanently Exclude that file or folder form your sync.
For the permanent Exclusions to remain active across different FFS sessions, you can best save the sync configuration (as a *.ffs_gui or *.ffs_batch file).

willho

As described by xCSxXenon, after running a Compare , you can right click a file or folder and then select to temporarily, but also to permanently Exclude that file or folder form your sync.
For the permanent Exclusions to remain active across different FFS sessions, you can best save the sync configuration (as a *.ffs_gui or *.ffs_batch file). Plerry, 21 Mar 2023, 10:51
Thank you for the suggestion. However as a MS SyncToy user migrated to FreeFileSync, my source and target folders (and sub-folders) already exist. Upon my first compare, those folders and sub-folders that I wanted to exclude would not show up as option for me to perform what you have suggested.

Plerry

> Upon my first compare, those folders and sub-folders that I wanted to exclude would not show up as option for me to perform what you have suggested

Yes they will. You only have to make those "equal" files and folders visible first.
Run a Compare, and then toggle the "="-icon mid below the left and right Compare results.
"Equal" files and folders do not result in proposed sync actions, and are therefore by default not shown.

LeoW

Right below where it says "No files to synchronize" there is a button with a grey background and a black "=" sign. If you click there, you will see all the files that are equal.

willho

Right below where it says "No files to synchronize" there is a button with a grey background and a black "=" sign. If you click there, you will see all the files that are equal. LeoW, 22 Mar 2023, 13:43
This is a great help. Thanks. However, it is not as user friendly as a pull-down of file directory structure that one can click to select and de-select.

I still hope the developer consider a SyncToy-like interface.

Plerry

> However, it is not as user friendly as a pull-down of file directory structure that one can click to select and de-select.

That is where you can use the FFS bottom-left Overview window.
A nice collapse/extendable file directory structure overview, with again the possibility to right-click and choose to temporarily or permanently add to the Exclude Filter.

willho

> However, it is not as user friendly as a pull-down of file directory structure that one can click to select and de-select.

That is where you can use the FFS bottom-left Overview window.
A nice collapse/extendable file directory structure overview, with again the possibility to right-click and choose to temporarily or permanently add to the Exclude Filter. Plerry, 23 Mar 2023, 09:32
Thank you, thank you. Yes, this is what I want. May I have my last question (may sound stupid)? how do I include those that I've excluded before via this interface. Of course, I can go to the filter and remove the excluded items.

Plerry

> Of course, I can go to the filter and remove the excluded items.

Spot on!