Trying to remove files older than x days

Get help for specific problems

hcollin

I am synchronizing directories and files older than 90 days. The expectation is not only that I ignore files older than 90 days when I do the comparison but also that files older than 90 days are removed on the receiving side.
In the filter, I have a time span set to 90 days, yet, directories and files older than 90 days are kept from past synchronizations.
How can I fix this?

Plerry

> I am synchronizing directories and files older than 90 days. ...

I suppose this should read "younger" instead of "older", otherwise the next part contradicts

> The expectation is not only that I ignore files older than 90 days when I do the comparison ...

Then about the second part of your expectation:
> ... but also that files older than 90 days are removed on the receiving side.

In FreeFileSync (FFS), files that you exclude from the sync, be it on size, "age", path or name, are excluded from the sync (as the name already suggests), and thus will not be copied/modified/deleted by the sync.

FFS has no direct feature to delete files and folders older than X days on the receiving side.
There may be some partially manual actions in FFS that you could use to achieve that, but a simpler way would be to run a script. See e.g. here.

hcollin

Thanks @Plerry, your explanation is consistent with my own observations and I was about to implement such a script when I decided to double-check that there was not other built-in way.
I had doubt because of the description for the sync options:
sync_options.png
sync_options.png (63.98 KiB) Viewed 344 times
I thought that maybe the deletion on the right side was enforced based on the list, after filtering, from the left side. At least, it was my hope.
Thanks for responding anyway.