Copy Individual Files

Get help for specific problems

nfcolins

Hello,

I would like to know how it is possible to copy individual files (not just whole folders, even with a filter) please?

Thanks.

blues12

It would indeed be nice to have such an individual file copy feature.
I keep facing the same issue, here's the work-around I've been using:

Tools > Global Settings > Customize Context Menu
In the first line of that table (for access via Double-click) or in any other line (for access via right-click) ADD another line via the Plus-Button.

Let Column (Description): Copy via cmd
Right Column (Command): cmd /k copy "%item_path%" "%item2_folder%"

This will leave the Windows Konsole open, for you to see if your copy command was successful.

nfcolins

Do you mind if you can make an example, perhaps with screenshots please?

blues12

Not much to show:
You open Global Settings (from the Tools-Menu) and enter the instructions into the first line (to trigger it via double-click):
Attachments
GlobalSettings.jpg
GlobalSettings.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

nfcolins

Thanks for showing that.

I am interested in what follows after the setting up this. In particular how to select individual files and their target folders in FreeFileSync please?

blues12

You double-click a file in the list. This will copy it to the other side - irrespective of any rules from your sync settings (F8).

This works in both directions. You see a file (on the right or left) that got an action assigned you don't agree with (no action or wrong arrow direction). So you either change the action for that file (selecting the "right" icon in the middle) or you double-click to trigger the force-copy you set up (screenshot above)

Optional: After copying it (double-click) you press Space to exempt it from being handled by FFS. Or you do nothing, because what the hell do you care if FFS copies it into the wrong direction? It's now identical anyway, no harm done.

One final hint: Although overriding your Sync-settings (F8), your Filter-settings (F7) may prevent you from seeing the whole content of your folders. You cannot copy what you cannot see, naturally. Clear your filter and run Compare again.