Automatic deletion of deleted files

Get help for specific problems

Henry

Hi everybody,
I would be interested to know if there is a way to make the program-settings that deleted files in the original directory are also deleted in the backup directory.

Plerry

If you use the Mirror sync variant, any files pre-existing in your destination/target (right-side) location that do not, or no longer, exist in your source (left-side) location, will be deleted from your target location.

If you use the TwoWay sync variant, after running the first sync, any files deleted from either side will also be deleted from the other side.
But, as you describe your sync in terms of original (=source) and backup (=target), your sync is inherently one-way.
Then Mirror is the way to go.

In your case: don't use the Update variant. That variant will leave (=not delete) any files pre-existing in your target (right-side) location that do not, or no longer, exist in your source (left-side) location.

Henry

Thank you very much for the hints.
On the external hard disk the recycle bin "$Recyle.bin" is present.
In Free File Sync I get a message that the recycle bin is not accessible. the properties show that it is protected by "read-only" (=written is forbidden). Is this the reason that FileSync has no access? If yes, how can I unprotect the recycle bin or how do I have to proceed so that Freefilesync can move the deleted files on the external hard disk to the recycle bin.

Henry

Thanks for the link, however unfortunately it doesn't give me the answer I expectet.
This ist the error-message in freeFileSync translated from German:

The recycle bin is not available for "\\fritz.box\FRITZ.NAS\Seagate_Backup_Plus_Drive\1MANDANTEN".
ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the specified path. [IRecycleBinManager::WillRecycle.]
Ignore and finally delete every time the recycle bin is not available?
unexplained messages FreeFileSync:

How can I setup the recyclebin on the external harddisk, so it can be found and used by FreeFileSync?

Plerry

> How can I setup the recyclebin on the external harddisk, so it can be found and used by FreeFileSync?

You can not.
That is not an FFS limitation, but simply the fact that the OS of the system on which FFS is run does/can not see such remote recycle-bin.
However, in FFS you can use Versioning.
You can consider that to be a much more powerful recycle-bin, in a self selected location.