Cannot write file attributes ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Get help for specific problems

Background_Basil_945

This is the second error I mentioned, and is expected. But I don't know how it's possible that setting file attributes could fail with ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED. Can you send me a PML log file for this case, too? Zenju, 22 Jul 2023, 16:18
Thanks Zenju. Apologies for the delay, been tied up over the weekend. I've seen the further comprehensive replies above (thanks tbain9824!) - let me know if a further trace from my end would still be helpful?
Site Admin

Zenju

Using that beta version, I still see the second case ("ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND" and the .ffs_tmp files were left behind) for all files, so no obvious change in behavior from that. tbain98, 24 Jul 2023, 04:30
Dang, this would have been too easy... I'm starting to run out of ideas, but there's one more thing we can try: We know the files are there, despite what the server says (ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). So deleting them unconditionally should work? https://www.mediafire.com/file/e3r3bm3imm3dlya/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25283%2529.exe

For the future, can I filter these at all, like maybe to "Process Name starts with FreeFileSync"? This file is 160MB, which takes a while to upload, so if I can safely filter down to what matters, that would make it faster to upload/download.
Yes, that's okay.

That said, I just noticed that your target network share is also accessed by Dropbox.exe. Dropbox.exe could also be responsible for all the issues, so it's worth a test turning it off completely.
Site Admin

Zenju

I've seen the further comprehensive replies above (thanks tbain9824!) - let me know if a further trace from my end would still be helpful? Background_Basil_945, 24 Jul 2023, 06:49
Yes: In tbain9824's case we're tackling another problem that happens before the issue discussed with you.

tbain98

I tried the newest beta and still hit errors:
8:44:23 AM    Error    Cannot copy file
        "D:\Documents - Shared\Tim\Games\Aquamarine\DIVER LOGS\MAP02\DiversLog_Map02_A4.pdf" to
        "B:\Main\Documents\Tim\Games\Aquamarine\DIVER LOGS\MAP02\DiversLog_Map02_A4-9f6f.ffs_tmp".
        ERROR_FILE_EXISTS: The file exists. [CopyFileEx]
        Cannot delete file "B:\Main\Documents\Tim\Games\Aquamarine\DIVER LOGS\MAP02\DiversLog_Map02_A4-9f6f.ffs_tmp".
        ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the file specified. [DeleteFile]
A new PML file is in your inbox. Thanks for continuing to look at this!
Dropbox.exe could also be responsible for all the issues, so it's worth a test turning it off completely.
I ran both the most recent beta and the prior beta with Dropbox not running and saw no difference in behavior.
Yes: In tbain9824's case we're tackling another problem that happens before the issue discussed with you.
Would you like me to split my content into a separate thread? I replied here since it looked to me like the same symptoms, but since they're unrelated I'm happy to split out a new one if it'll make it easier to be sure we reach a resolution on both issues.
Site Admin

Zenju

I tried the newest beta and still hit errors:
        ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the file specified. [DeleteFile]
tbain98, 24 Jul 2023, 14:51
Alas, this is as bad as expected. The "DeleteFile" is also fooled by the stale cache-response ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.
But: We might be able to get the server to return accurate information via CreateFile's OPEN_ALWAYS disposition. This is a potential write-access, so it can't be cached: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9btl3cai4syeyy5/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25284%2529.exe

Would you like me to split my content into a separate thread? I replied here since it looked to me like the same symptoms, but since they're unrelated I'm happy to split out a new one if it'll make it easier to be sure we reach a resolution on both issues. tbain98, 24 Jul 2023, 14:51
No it's fine that way. You do have the same symptoms as the thread starter (once we get there), but also the other issue on top.

Background_Basil_945

I've seen the further comprehensive replies above (thanks tbain9824!) - let me know if a further trace from my end would still be helpful? Background_Basil_945, 24 Jul 2023, 06:49
Yes: In tbain9824's case we're tackling another problem that happens before the issue discussed with you. Zenju, 24 Jul 2023, 09:03
Run and emailed to you (#3). Thanks again!

Background_Basil_945

Alas, this is as bad as expected. The "DeleteFile" is also fooled by the stale cache-response ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.
But: We might be able to get the server to return accurate information via CreateFile's OPEN_ALWAYS disposition. This is a potential write-access, so it can't be cached: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9btl3cai4syeyy5/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25284%2529.exe
Hi Zenju

I've also run and sent a trace (#4) with log using this newer version too, in case it helps.
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks Zenju. Tried the beta but the same issue occurs.

Cannot write file attributes of "\\AX86\Music (at MX500)\Big Wreck\FLAC\Albatross\01 - Head Together-7aed.ffs_tmp".

ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FileBasicInfo)] Background_Basil_945, 22 Jul 2023, 13:06
Run and emailed to you (#3). Thanks again! Background_Basil_945, 25 Jul 2023, 07:05
It's like a Heisenbug: the "ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FileBasicInfo)]" you received earlier does not occur anymore in this trace, instead it's the ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.
Site Admin

Zenju

I've also run and sent a trace (#4) with log using this newer version too, in case it helps. Background_Basil_945, 25 Jul 2023, 07:10
Looking good! Finally we're at "SetFileInformationByHandle(FileBasicInfo): ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED" as reported in the very beginning of the thread! Here's a version that tries to work around. It might fail with a warning, but not an error. In any case I'll be interested in the log as always:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zgn49q3ur10f6d9/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25285%2529.exe

Background_Basil_945

I've also run and sent a trace (#4) with log using this newer version too, in case it helps. Background_Basil_945, 25 Jul 2023, 07:10
Looking good! Finally we're at "SetFileInformationByHandle(FileBasicInfo): ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED" as reported in the very beginning of the thread! Here's a version that tries to work around. It might fail with a warning, but not an error. In any case I'll be interested in the log as always:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zgn49q3ur10f6d9/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25285%2529.exe Zenju, 25 Jul 2023, 08:07
Thanks Zenju - this latest version works exactly as you predicted - completes with a warning, not an error.

Great progress, thank you so much for your efforts!

However, while the files are updated (and I verified this), because the modify time isn't updated, the comparison for the next run still shows the same files to be updated in the next run.

Log and PML should be in your inbox.
Site Admin

Zenju

We're getting somewhere. The ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED seems to be an issue specific to setting file attributes, but unrelated to file times. Question is, is it FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE in particular, or other attributes as well? Let's test: https://www.mediafire.com/file/20ajqgo815olcmz/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25287%2529.exe

Background_Basil_945

We're getting somewhere. The ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED seems to be an issue specific to setting file attributes, but unrelated to file times. Question is, is it FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE in particular, or other attributes as well? Let's test: https://www.mediafire.com/file/20ajqgo815olcmz/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25287%2529.exe Zenju, 25 Jul 2023, 16:25
Thanks Zenju. That errors:

Cannot write file attributes of "\\AX86\Music (at MX500)\Big Wreck\FLAC\Albatross\01 - Head Together-d599.ffs_tmp".
ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE)]
ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN)]
ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM)]
ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY)]

Log and PML #6 sent to you.
Site Admin

Zenju

ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED: The request is not supported. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY)]

Log and PML #6 sent to you. Background_Basil_945, 26 Jul 2023, 06:56
Perfect! I can finish the implementation now: The following version should fix all the issues discussed in this thread and should work for tbain98 as well: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qy678sks6o09n1n/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25288%2529.exe

Background_Basil_945

Log and PML #6 sent to you. Background_Basil_945, 26 Jul 2023, 06:56
Perfect! I can finish the implementation now: The following version should fix all the issues discussed in this thread and should work for tbain98 as well: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qy678sks6o09n1n/FreeFileSync_12.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25288%2529.exe Zenju, 26 Jul 2023, 16:29
Fantastic, thank you Zenju! Just tested and it ran with no errors or file read errors (only the usual, expected 'recycle bin not available').

Thank you so much for your efforts here.

tbain98

The latest beta version also ran without errors for me. Thanks for the fix!

Lee-B

I have been experiencing a very similar problem over the past few months, with errors syncing between a computer running Windows 10 Pro and a samba share. Interestingly, FFS was working fine on two other computers running Windows 10 Education connected to the same samba drive.

The latest beta version now runs fine for me on the machine running 10 Pro. Thanks so much for your efforts in fixing this!

I just made a donation to the project.

Attilo

Hi Guys,
I am getting this error (over 900 of them actually) just mirroring from my pc to an external hard disk for the first time:

Warning Cannot write file attributes of "E:\HD 1\DB At bkup\IC".
ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER: The parameter is incorrect. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FileBasicInfo)]

Is it the same issue you are talking here above ? Any suggestion?

Thanks
At
Site Admin

Zenju

Warning Cannot write file attributes of "E:\HD 1\DB At bkup\IC".
ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER: The parameter is incorrect. [SetFileInformationByHandle(FileBasicInfo)] Attilo, 08 Dec 2023, 21:32
It's a different issue. What is "E:\HD 1\DB At bkup\IC"? Is it a file or a folder?

Attilo

Hi Zenju,
"E:\HD 1\DB At bkup\IC" is a folder.
I ran an update, after first mirror, and I got no errors there !?
I made some random checks...everything looks good.

Note I am synching to an external drive. On prevoius experiments working on folders of the same pc, I was getting no errors.

Should I care about this errors (over 900!?) ... or just ignore them ?

thanks