FreeFileSync Start Priority (Windows) ...

Discuss new features and functions

volker01

I have a pc with a slow CPU and i start freefilesync with a bat in this way:

Start /Wait /AboveNormal "" "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreefileSync.exe" "C:\ProgramData\backupControl_pcs\GlobalSettings.xml" "C:\pcs\pcs_scripts\konfig_ffs\ffs.ffs_batch"

In the Windows Taskmanager there a two processes:
freefilesync.exe and
freefilesync_x64.exe

The freefilesync.exe starts as expected with the higher priority,
but the freefilesyc_x64.exe is in normal state, not AboveNormal.

xCSxXenon

Just call the 64-bit executable itself
Site Admin

Zenju

The FreeFileSync launcher not only selects between 32/64 bit, but also does a number of checks that help troubleshooting weird system issues, so it should not be skipped. The files inside subfolder "Bin" like FreeFileSync_x64.exe are implementation details.

The freefilesync.exe starts as expected with the higher priority,
but the freefilesyc_x64.exe is in normal state, not AboveNormal. volker01, 20 Apr 2023, 20:00
Fixed for FreeFileSync 12.3!

xCSxXenon

The FreeFileSync launcher not only selects between 32/64 bit, but also does a number of checks that help troubleshooting weird system issues, so it should not be skipped. The files inside subfolder "Bin" like FreeFileSync_x64.exe are implementation details. Zenju, 21 Apr 2023, 08:41
Interesting! Might be worth preventing them from being ran directly at all, what are the disadvantages?
Site Admin

Zenju

Interesting! Might be worth preventing them from being ran directly at all, what are the disadvantages? xCSxXenon, 21 Apr 2023, 14:27
I can't think of disadvantages other than this one: If I rename the executable to "FreeFileSync_x64.bin" then "pin to taskbar" doesn't work because the file name of a process does not end with ".exe".

xCSxXenon

That seems okay if they aren't supposed to be ran directly, no?
Site Admin

Zenju

Unfortunately "pin to taskbar" is also missing if "FreeFileSync_x64.bin" is started through the launcher FreeFileSync.exe. It seems there isn't a way to manually set a different target path for the process.