[BUG] Can't access some local drives

Get help for specific problems

Heinz

FreeFileSync can't access WinFsp local drives, WebDAV aso. e.g. from the software "Cryptomator".

azure55

It doesn't work with Cryptomator? There goes my plan to try that app...

LeoW

with a little help from Google you can learn how to mount webdav servers in windows file explorer and then back up via free file sync to return.

You can also mount webdav Servers and over 40 more using a free open source app called rclone. It's a single executable file that runs on Windows Linux and Mac just like free file sync and can assist free file sync in backing up and syncing to over 40 cloud providers. Don't let the name confuse you. it is clone but it's the mounting of the cloud drives that is its ideal feature. Everyone is much better off using free file sync for the syncing which is a nice graphical user interface and automation rather than a very cryptic difficult command line app and scripts.

I'm available to assist in learning how to mount cloud drives that you can use with freefilesync. I can now back up my Microsoft Onedrive with FREEfilesync and rclone. Difficult to learn easy to teach.

Heinz

with a little help from Google you can learn how to mount webdav servers in windows file explorer and then back up via free file sync to return. LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 04:27
The problem is that FFS has only partial support of WebDAV aso., if any.
That's why it doesn't work with Cryptomator, without downloading all the files.

Did you find a way to do that (using Cryptomator with FFS without downloading the files)?

LeoW

I haven't tested cryptomator specifically with FFS.

I would test try it for you only I have recently had that PC repaired and I have yet to re-install it. I'll try and do that today if I can. Then, are you simply wanting to sync to an external backup drive? I have a test computer for this type of stuff. I can try to re-create your config and test.

Please tell me a little bit more about your setup. PC OS etc. Are you trying to do a local backup to external drive?

WAIT: I just did a search in BING AI Chat And learned that Cryptomator is a webdav server.

The Cryptomator WebDAV address is the HTTP address of your vault. You can find it in the Cryptomator app by clicking on the three dots next to your vault and selecting “Show WebDAV address” from the menu.

If you really do need a LOCAL webdav connection I would try mapping a drive, or mounting a folder with rclone. FFS will see a local drive letter, and treat it as such.

If you want to give it a try, I will post the config settings and commands in rclone that you will need. Rclone can mount webdav servers. I've even mounted my MS Onedrive with it, although Onedrive is supported directly.

There is no "Installation" The software is one file. Free and open source.

It has a simple command prompt interactive config setup that is easy to follow. When done with the config, you simply mount it with one command. FFS will see whatever drive letter you choose.

If I have time today, I will reinstall cryptomator. If I know specifically what you are trying to do it will help me replicate and see if it works.

Heinz

are you simply wanting to sync to an external backup drive? LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 07:25
I want FFS to use a virtual Cryptomator address like WebDAV, WinFsp or similar as a target for the backup.
Everything after that is working.
If you really do need a LOCAL webdav connection I would try mapping a drive, or mounting a folder with rclone. FFS will see a local drive letter, and treat it as such. LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 07:25
I already mounted as a local folder (virtual) and as a local drive with WebDAV and with WinFsp.

Accessing "physical" files is no problem, but that would be much more of a hassle and would defy the reason to use Cryptomator.

LeoW

[/quote]
I want FFS to use a virtual Cryptomator address like WebDAV, WinFsp or similar as a target for the backup.
Everything after that is working.

I already mounted as a local folder (virtual) and as a local drive with WebDAV and with WinFsp.

[/quote]

Now you have me a bit confused. what SPECIFICALLY IS THE END GOAL? WITH EVERYTHING WORKING.

Where is the Source Cryptomator vault? Local PC, or cloud?

Where is the destination in FFS. External drive?

In FFS You want the virtual cryptomator drive on the left, And a location to back the files up to on the right which is possibly an external hard drive?

You say that you've already mounted as a local folder with webdav and it is not working correctly correct?

For me to Replicate your configuration I need to understand it better.

are you storing your cryptomator files locally or in the cloud as they suggest on their website?

As I said, You can let rclone be the controller of the WebDav Communication between windows and Cryptomator. rclone should be able to mount the cryptomator webdav server address as I mentioned.
Then FFS uses drive f: to look at the vault.

I HAVE INSTALLED CRYPTOMATOR!
In "Preferences" "Virtual Drive" I chose webdav http address. On the main menu, Cryptomator shows me the webdav URI.

I used rclone to mount the URI to drive b:
Launched FFS and selected B: on the left, and my pCloud drive p: on the right. Threw a bunch of files in the vault.

Then, I did a full sync and it worked perfectly. Is this similar to what you are trying to do?

You can't access webdav url/uri directly in FFS. Webdav just isn't supported in the software. That's why I pair FFS with rclone. rclone does the mounting. There is another free software that will directly mount webdav servers from inside the program. no need to mount anything. It would be inappropriate for me to mention the name here.

IF YOU PREFER:
Rclone can mount the Vault to a regular folder rather than a drive letter. This way no one else will see a drive letter mounted at all it will just be a folder in the file system. The folder will only be visible while rclone is actively running in memory. As soon as you unmount clone the Mount Point goes away Automatically.

Heinz

In FFS You want the virtual cryptomator drive on the left, And a location to back the files up to on the right which is possibly an external hard drive? LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 08:36
No, the other way around.
Some folder of the internal drive shall be on the left and the (virtual) Cryptomator drive or folder shall be the location to back the files up to on the right side.
You say that you've already mounted as a local folder with webdav and it is not working correctly correct? LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 08:36
Yes, FFS doesn't even see the virtual drive, no matter what protocol I use.
are you storing your cryptomator files locally or in the cloud as they suggest on their website? LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 08:36
They shall be / were (at the test) stored in the cloud.
As I said, You can let rclone be the controller of the WebDav Communication between windows and Cryptomator. rclone should be able to mount the cryptomator webdav server address as I mentioned.
Then FFS uses drive f: to look at the vault. LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 08:36
Cryptomator can mount WebDAV and WinFsp on it's own.
I HAVE INSTALLED CRYPTOMATOR!
In "Preferences" "Virtual Drive" I chose webdav http address. On the main menu, Cryptomator shows me the webdav URI.

I used rclone to mount the URI to drive b:
Launched FFS and selected B: on the left, and my pCloud drive p: on the right. Threw a bunch of files in the vault.

Then, I did a full sync and it worked perfectly. Is this similar to what you are trying to do? LeoW, 10 Jun 2023, 08:36
I mounted the drive with Cryptomator (as a virtual folder and as a virtual drive with the different options) directly and FFS didn't found it.

LeoW

OK, I too just tried EVERY virtual drive option.
Only 2 of them work with FFS.
1. Webdav (Windows Explorer)
2. Webdav HTTP + Rclone

Those appear to be your only options. Winfsp and Winfsp (local) DO NOT WORK FOR ME.

Option 1 works without needing rclone.

If you don't want any mount point, drive letter or folder, you are up a creek with a very short paddle.
There is another free option that's mount point free.