Give users ability to set permanent [default] Maximum Idle Time [REQUEST]

Discuss new features and functions

Synchronizator

Whenever a user goes to

RealTimeSync > File > Open

and loads up a new FFS_BATCH file the
Maximum idle time (in seconds) before running command
near the botom of the window is yet again set to 10

Users cannot be expected to have to remember always to change it to a value desired by them [for example to 66 seconds so that they will have a solid minute to realize what stupid mistake they just made and are in need of recovering some deleted or overwritten file]

I would better if users could set such individual value in export options of Bach Job in FreeFileSync [without which a file would not be created] and / or in [currently non existing] Options in RealTimeSync. Alternatively that default 10 in RTS could be replaced with the last value used within it
Last edited by Synchronizator on 17 Jun 2023, 07:35, edited 2 times in total.

xCSxXenon

When I open a .ffs_real configuration, it repopulates the idle time just fine. As for the default value for a new config, there's no definitively correct answer for what it should be set to

Synchronizator

So if I always get 10 then it means I am experiencing a bug?

As for the value to which it should be set by default- [with bug or without bug] it should be the user who decides what default / fallback value it should be
Last edited by Synchronizator on 15 Jun 2023, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Plerry

xCSxXenon writes:
> When I open a .ffs_real configuration it repopulates the idle time just fine.

It seems Synchronizator does not refer to opening a *.ffs_real configuration, but rather to creating a new RTS configuration (e.g. by dragging a *.ffs_batch sync configuration into the RTS GUI window). In the latter case, the Idle Time is set to the default value 10.
There is (at least presently) no option to change that default value (unless you change the number in the source code and recompile the modified code yourself)

Synchronizator

It seems Synchronizator does not refer to opening a *.ffs_real configuration, but rather to creating a new RTS configuration
[...] Plerry, 14 Jun 2023, 19:27
Yes

And this happens a lot when a new user like myself is adding locations to be monitored piece-by-piece, testing the programs out making sure that data is handled in way expected / required by me

Synchronizator

And thus there are two reasons for users to be able to control the default Maximum Idle Time: to avert annoying repetition during initial "updates" [i.e. creation of] FFS_REAL files and to avert them forgetting about imposed default 10 seconds value when coming back to

RealTimeSync > File > Open

option months later and not noticing it near the bottom