Problem with long file names

Discuss new features and functions

pep

I get the following error:

Cannot read directory "[97_character_file_name]".

ERROR_FILENAME_EXCED_RANGE: The filename or extension is too long. [FindNextFile]

Im trying to copy into a mounted cryptomator vault if that makes any difference. But windows explorer is able to handle the files fine.

pep

I am using 12.4 donation edition on windows

pep

Is there a link to go back to 12.3? The archive doesn't have the Donation editions, and my link only has 12.4.

xCSxXenon

You have to maintain your own archive for donation editions

It is incredibly odd that FFS has an issue when File Explorer doesn't... Any special characters in the filename?

pep

Any way I can be sent 12.3 to the email I made the donation with? It's the same email I used to make this account and post.

12.4 has had this issue since I upgraded and my syncs are not working.

I am syncing many thousands of files, and yes, there are some special characters in some of the paths. Some files/folders have brackets, & signs, hyphens, + signs, and pretty much every other character allowed by windows is used at some point.

But I used 12.3 for years and I've never had this issue with older versions of FreeFileSync.

xCSxXenon

"You have to maintain your own archive for donation editions"
The old versions of your donation edition simply do not exist.

I recommend installing 12.3 free edition just to verify if the issue goes away if you revert. Even if it does fix it, I would still reinstall 12.4 after to then verify that the issue comes back after updating

pep

Reverted back to 12.3 and I still have the same issue.

Noticed something though. Windows explorer opens the file fine (about 100 chars in path so that's expected), but when I move that file with the same folder structure into my Cryptomator vault that's when I get the error.

This happens whether I try to move it with FFS or with Explorer, and it's the same with alternatives to explorer like FreeCommander and Q-Dir too.

So I'm beginning to think this is a Cryptomator issue. Not sure how or why yet.

Thanks for the help, I'm off to the Cryptomator forums

xCSxXenon

Anytime, good luck!

therube

when I move that file with the same folder structure into my Cryptomator vault that's when I get the error
Just what is the directory structure?
But I used 12.3 for years and I've never had this issue with older versions of FreeFileSync.
So 12.3 worked (before) & now 12.3 (also) fails.
So it is said "directory structure" that is different between then & now?

pep

when I move that file with the same folder structure into my Cryptomator vault that's when I get the error
Just what is the directory structure?
So 12.3 worked (before) & now 12.3 (also) fails.
So it is said "directory structure" that is different between then & now? therube, 10 Jul 2023, 15:55
Directory structure was the same. It turned out to be a cryptomator issue.
Last edited by pep on 10 Jul 2023, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

pep

I installed Cryptomator with chocolatey, so it didn't include WinFSP and the vault defaulted to opening with WebDAV. That's what made file paths display as too long for explorer/FFS.

Downloaded WinFSP, switched to that and now all is well.

ffphx

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to update this thread. I was having the same issue and resolved it quickly and easily thanks to your extra bit of effort to post the fix here.