ERROR_SESSION_CREDENTIAL_CONFLICT

Discuss new features and functions

therube

Just pointing out (as I wasn't seeing it noted here)...

Cannot find the following folders:

\\Nas\back\RUBENXP43\123\MP
\\Nas\back\RUBENXP43\My Documents
\\Nas\back\RUBENXP43\USR\STEVEN
\\NAS\LIB

Unable to connect to "\\NAS\LIB".
ERROR_SESSION_CREDENTIAL_CONFLICT: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again. [WNetAddConnection2]

---

So the NAS has different directories & different logins for said directories, & different user levels for those directories.

There is a \\NAS\Office directory that "they" use, & it it has its' own login, for them (of "office123").

Then there is "me", that has access to other directories, like \\NAS\LIB, & my login can access both "my" directories, like \\NAS\LIB, & also their directories, like \\NAS\Office.

The problem comes in if I happen to login in (to) \\NAS\Office - using their login (so "office123").

What happens with that, is that if I then try to log into "my" directory, \\NAS\LIB, I can't.
I'm greeted (in Windows, in general, & in FFS too) with "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user...".

To me, that message is... kind of meaningless. So you do some digging & this says to try this & that says to try that, & I don't really understand it, much less understand the reasoning for it... So I hammer away - without results. Anyhow, over time, putting 1 + 1 + 1 together & coming up with 1.5 (something close enough), I now (kind of) understand what is going on.

That is...

Once you "log in", oh, & I'm going to say it incorrectly, but the login you've used is then tied to that access method to the particular device. So if I happened to log into \\NAS\Office using "office123", Windows will then not allow me to log into \\NAS\LIB using "my" login.

But, how do you "un-log-in" to \\NAS\Office so that you can re-log-in using some other "credentials"?

Well, at that point, you have to kind of understand just what the above means (considering it meant nothing to me from the outset). (And "credential manager", for me was not the solution.)

Some methods I found gave "dire warnings", but again, I didn't understand just what the warnings meant (so I felt, well better safe - & not follow through, then to have something untoward happen).

Anyhow, after reading & reading, & adding 1+1+1 & coming up with 1.5, a silver of light (or some random thought) came through. -force.

One posted said something like; from an Admin prompt, run PowerShell:
PS E:\Users\therube> get-service workstation | restart-service -force

-force, so no big bad warning messages, so it must be safe, right ;-)?

Anyhow, for me, running that logged me out of the \\NAS\Office "login" (I suppose it would "log you out" of all "logins"?). And once I was logged of of there (using "their" login), I could then log into Office, or anywhere else - using "my" login (without hitting the [Windows] Multiple connections to a server... message).

(I imagine NET /STOP / START workstation, could be used as an alternative to the PowerShell script.)
(Another method, instead of logging out of \\NAS\Office, would be to connect "separately" to something other then \\NAS, like; 10.0.0.18, the NAS's IP. \\NAS & 10.0.0.18, even though they are the same thing, are treated as two different "devices" by Windows for credential reasons.)

---

Windows (7, in my case), connecting to a Synology NAS
FFS cannot connect to NAS.png
FFS cannot connect to NAS.png (38.96 KiB) Viewed 1645 times

Plerry

(Google) Translation of an meanwhile almost 10 year old post of mine in the Dutch Synology Forum:
If Microsoft did not "fix" this in recent Windows versions, it may provide a solution to your problems.

Every now and then Windows users run into the fact that it is not possible to simultaneously
access shares on their NAS under different (NAS) userIDs.
This applies to drive-letter-mapped shares, to shares addressed by their network address, or a mix of these.
Microsoft apparently considers this a security risk and has shielded it.
It is therefore not possible in Windows to, for example:
map \\192.168.1.101\music to drive letter X: under (NAS)userID "user1" (with associated password)
and at the same time
map \\192.168.1.101\video to drive letter Y: under (NAS)userID "user2" (with associated password)
because towards the network resource 192.168.1.101 only one userID can apply at a time.

Remarkably enough, this limitation appears to be relatively easy to circumvent.
This is because Windows does not see IP addressing as the same network resource as
FQDN (fully qualified domain name) addressing, even though that FQDN leads to the same IP address.
This makes it possible to:
map \\192.168.1.101\music to drive letter X: under (NAS)userID "user1" (with associated password)
and at the same time
map \\Diskstation\video to drive letter Y : under (NAS)userID "user2" (with associated password)
even though Diskstation leads to 192.168.1.101.
If desired, the (different) userIDs and passwords for both locations can also be managed separately
in Windows Credential manager.

If desired, you can go even further by including multiple entries to the same IP address of your NAS under different names in your "hosts" file (usually "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts").
For example, adding to your hosts file
"samba1 192.168.1.101"
and
"samba2 192.168.1.101"
you can map Y: to \\samba1\music and Z: to \\samba2\video.
Windows then connects smoothly to both shares, if desired under different userIDs.

Reference