Bug: popup windows on Linux are unusable; cannot use FreeFileSync

Get help for specific problems

eRCaGuy

I have the FreeFileSync 12.4 donation edition.

The main FreeFileSync window looks great! But when I go to Help --> About, the popup window is just an unusable sliver, and I can't see any text in it.

If I click the settings gear, it is also a sliver of a window, but it is resizeable, so I can resize it and use it, by dragging the bottom of the window down to enlarge it.

I can compare files in preparation for a sync, but I cannot perform the sync, because when I go to start the sync, the popup window is a non-resizeable sliver of a window, making FreeFileSync unusable.

---

Update: restarting Ubuntu seems to have fixed the issue! Could this just be a bug that presents itself right after installing FreeFileSync, but not after a reboot of the OS?

I have the same issue on an Ubuntu liveUSB after installing FreeFileSync per my instructions here: https://askubuntu.com/a/1468171/327339, but on a live USB I can't restart to "fix" the bug, or else the restart also uninstalls FreeFileSync since it's in an ephemeral live USB environment.

Anyway, there seems to be a bug on Linux Ubuntu, where the popup windows in FreeFileSync are tiny and unusable. But, restarting Ubuntu after installing FreeFileSync seems to have fixed it. Nevertheless, this is not viable on a Live USB.

eRCaGuy

Update: I just installed the Donation edition of FreeFileSync 12.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 and am seeing this again, making the program completely unusable since I can't resize the sync window!

Restarting did not help.

Any suggestions?

Screenshot after I clicked "Synchronize". The popup window is not visible, and hovering my mouse over the bottom of it does not allow me to resize it, so I cannot use the program at all. :(

See attached screenshot.
Attachments
--home-gabriel-GS-FFSyncSettings.ffs_gui_001.jpg
--home-gabriel-GS-FFSyncSettings.ffs_gui_001.jpg (267.78 KiB) Viewed 605 times

eRCaGuy

Blind work-around: press Space bar to "accept" and begin syncing. Then, in the new sync window which starts running, where the progress plot is, the window is now still a thin bar, but it becomes *manually resizeable*. Grab the bottom edge of it, and now I can see the progress!

Screenshots:

After pressing Space bar, I can see this new sliver of a window (bottom image below)

...which is resizeable by grabbing the bottom of it and stretching it down. I can grab the lower-right corner and stretch it down and right too. Here's the result: (top image below)
Attachments
14- Synchronizing..._001.jpg
14- Synchronizing..._001.jpg (289.67 KiB) Viewed 604 times
9- Synchronizing..._001.jpg
9- Synchronizing..._001.jpg (233.21 KiB) Viewed 604 times

therube

Perhaps related ? viewtopic.php?t=7706.

eRCaGuy

Perhaps. No idea.