Installation failing on Arch Linux Steamdeck

Get help for specific problems

sardior

Howdy,
The Discover Software Center has the free version of FreeFileSync and I've found it to be really useful. So, I donated and received the Donation version. However, I can't find a way to install it on the Steamvalve Corp, Steamdeck which uses Arch Linux. When trying to run it from Dolphin File Manager there are not enough permissions granted to install. So, trying to run it from the Konsole (terminal) using Sudo it still cannot find directories to install the program. Thank you for a wonderful program. It would be nice to be able to use the enhanced features.
-Michael Sardior

sardior

Konsole output:

FreeFileSync 12.4 Setup

1. Install for all users: YES (requires root password)
2. Installation directory: /opt/FreeFileSync
3. Create desktop shortcuts: YES

-> Installing to: /opt/FreeFileSync
-> New console command: freefilesync
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/local/bin/freefilesync': Read-only file system
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/local/bin/FreeFileSync': Read-only file system
-> Registering file extensions: *.ffs_gui, *.ffs_batch, *.ffs_real
install: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/mime/packages/freefilesync-mime.xml': Read-only file system
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.

*<! a bunch of lines of this deleted since they are all the same/>

xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
/tmp/FreeFileSync_12.4_FNhOgE/install.sh: line 397: /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/FreeFileSync-edit-with.desktop: Read-only file system
chmod: cannot access '/usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/FreeFileSync-edit-with.desktop': No such file or directory
/tmp/FreeFileSync_12.4_FNhOgE/install.sh: line 415: /usr/share/applications/FreeFileSync.desktop: Read-only file system
/tmp/FreeFileSync_12.4_FNhOgE/install.sh: line 416: /usr/share/applications/RealTimeSync.desktop: Read-only file system
chmod: cannot access '/usr/share/applications/FreeFileSync.desktop': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/usr/share/applications/RealTimeSync.desktop': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat '/usr/share/applications/FreeFileSync.desktop': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat '/usr/share/applications/RealTimeSync.desktop': No such file or directory

All done!
,,__
__ __ / °__)
/--'/--\ \-'
/ \_/ /
.'\ \__\ __.'
)\ | )\ |
// \\ // \\
||_ \\|_ \\_
'--' '--'' '--'

Thank you,

xCSxXenon

"Read-only file system"
Doesn't seem to be a FFS issue

bgstack15

Ah, so the FreeFileSync installer wants to control /usr/local/bin (normal behavior), but on this device, /usr/local/bin/ is mounted read-only. Perhaps you should try the per-user installation option. I expect it would deploy the binaries to ~/bin or ~/.local/bin/ (suggested by https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html). Hopefully your user's ~/.local/bin/ directory is readable.
Also, the per-user applications directory would be ~/.local/share/applications.

sardior

There is no ~/.local/bin/ directory. there is a ~/.local/ directory. And there is a ~/.local/share/applications directory. I just switched it to single user only and it finally installed. Thank you for your help.

sardior

It installed, but now won't run. It says that I don't have GTK2 installed. and I've looked for a way to install it and there is nothing helpful i've found to do that. -very frustrated now.

sardior

Added note, I think I found the program in the "Discovery" app which is the software installation app for SteamDeck. I reinstalled it with that and have the original version working again. It is odd that it works from that source, but will not install the donation version.

xCSxXenon

Welcome to Linux

bgstack15

In Arch Linux the package to install gtk2 is named gtk2, based on https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GTK#Installation