HELP update regarding how to run Freefile on windows machines with administrator rights

Discuss new features and functions

HEBI38

Hello,

i got some trouble with Windows 10 and scheduled synchronisation.
Key point was to copy and save the current google chrome session to get all the openened tabs back open once google chrome had been seriously crashed. Usually chrome then will start with a single and empty tab.

But the file to be backed up is under file protection so I was going mad with the hourly error reports I got from free file.

So I had to look for a solution which was not well described in the documentation there in the scheduled batch section nor in the RunTimeService.

What is missing there for windows users is the hint to run the application with Administrator rights.
That is usually achieved by starting an application from the explorer with a right click and then run as administrator. This does not work for a scheduled windows task this way.

I had to open the fileexplorer directory,
right click on the exe file,
and then somewhere burried deep you will find the run as administrator which is needed to benefit from these features.

I suggest to write a line for all those windows user cases where a ton of error messages will make people upset like me and you might link that to the tips & tricks section where you would explain the Windows Administrator story deeper that a user can understand the further steps needed .

The topic is partly explained here, but not really deep enough and not linked where it should be linked especially in the rts and batch use cases.

Note
FreeFileSync considers the following items as "symbolic links": file system symbolic links, volume mount points (NTFS), junction points (NTFS), WSL symlinks, and Google Drive shortcuts.
Windows: Copying symbolic links requires FreeFileSync to be started with administrator rights.

It took me days to get rid of the annoying messages, which had been a lot more in the beginning when i had missed to deactivate error messages for such job.
But even afterwards 1 every hour as long as google chrome had been open.

xCSxXenon

I use that across multiple browsers and computers to sync everything