Is Freefilesync the only backup solution that I will need?

Discuss new features and functions

ilan1h2020

Currently I am enjoying using FFS and find it to be a great resource. However, I'm wondering if it is a true backup of my data. I am copying my database files from my main computer to an external drive using "Mirror". This seems to work well. In my source drive I have several versions of these database (backup from this week, 2 weeks ago, last month etc). So when I mirror this to the external drive I am hopefully avoiding the possibility that I will be mirroring a corrupted database. I suppose another way of doing it is to backup the files to the target but to not cause any files on the target to be deleted. Then I can clear it out once every 6 months. Apart from that, however, obviously FFS does not backup the system files or allow me to recover from a disaster. Seems like I will need something else besides?

xCSxXenon

I have seen decent success with Acronis system backup. It is in a proprietary format so it requires their software to backup/restore. The software does cost money or sometimes comes included with some external drives.
In my opinion as a technician, system images are the only 100% true backups that I rely on. There are lots of free options out there, make sure to test them out before relying on them entirely.

Plerry

A funny overview of all aspects of backup can be found here (and forgive them the commercial twist at the end ...).

What may particularly be missing from your approach is off-site storage.

Instead of (manually?) creating our own versions/history, did you consider using the FFS feature of Versioning.
It allows you to keep as many previous versions as you select for as long as you select.

LeoW

Acronis has a good solution for disk imaging backups. The only thing I dislike about the company these days is the product is now a subscription requiring an annual fee every year in perpetuity.

I use the used to be free version of Macrium Reflect for image backups.

A good open source imaging solution is https://rescuezilla.com/

I always recommend customers have two copies/forms of the backup. The external hard drive is okay as a start. If the external hard drive fails then you have no backup. I have two external SSD drives and I mirror my data to drive ONE and then sync drive ONE and TWO.

Also, as those who have seen disasters know that it is always possible to lose one's home in a hurricane or fire or flood et cetera. So, I do and always recommend that a copy of your data be kept on a cloud drive as well. Have one job set to sync to the external drive, and other job to sync to the cloud, if the cloud provider doesn't do that by themselves.