GUI - pick a folder but deselect particular sub folder

Discuss new features and functions

Eric March

Hello!

As a brief description, I plan to sync a not so small folder structure with some files in several sub folders which hold other sub folders. Nothing uncommon I’d say.

Let it be like main folder Bitmaps holding files and several sub folders. One of them may be Photos. Again holding files and sub folders.
Due less of space on target, there are (to say) old storage folders I have to skip. Maybe named 2010, 2011, 2012.

What is to do to sync all the Bitmaps excluding that tree years? What is syntax to type in exclusions? Or better, where is an option in GUI to exclude single sub-sub-folders?

And, to me as an option thinking about ROBOCOPY and /LEV, how to include or exclude all or names single files?

BR
Eric

xCSxXenon

You can add lines to the exclude filter. Even easier it to run a compare and then exclude from the comparison results. You can right-click items/folders to add to the exclude filter permanently or exclude them temporarily

Eric March

Hello!

My dream is a one step batch job.
Where nothing in scan results has to be be excluded manually.

To type an exclusion, which is syntax? Exclude «\2010\» sounds not good because other \2010 do exist (in other sub folders).
But a trial like \Bitmaps\Photos\2010\ seems to fail?!
I did just a scan by a self composed batch file, but my planned exclusion was not excluded (everything else, except something I’d forgotten, looks good, indeed).
So I manually unchecked all I can not sync due space and gave a run.

Eric

Plerry

Why don't you not simply do what xCSxXenon suggested above?

Eric March

Maybe because I simply look out for a one-clock solution?!

There is lot of stuff to handle after a scan. And each time do it that way is not efficient.

Eric

Plerry

You only need to do it once, if you right-click the file or folder to be excluded and select "permanent", and then save your FFS sync configuration as a *.ffs_gui or *.ffs_batch file.

Eric March

I must try this.
But such kind of »trial-and-error«, a reaction to make and save settings after a scan, is not convincing.

Eric

Plerry

With this kind of a reaction, I give up!

Eric March

I checked it out, referring to a German interfac e, there is nothing matching a «permanent» exclusion.
Only filters.
And need a trial-and-error to understand difference in syntax «\2010\» and «*\2010\».
This within one (sub)folder. Next step to get a syntax including folder (or, as you like, path) structures, trees.

Isn’t there a useful template to interface as well as syntax of saved batches?
My experience with several program languages says, just a saved template does not deliver essential information (you may know MS VBA macro recorder?!)

Eric

Due nor seeing that reply before

@Plerry
Does this say…
…my request is too complicated?
…there is no solution to it, so a simple no indeed is a valid answer?
…save work time, life time, is no good intention?
Well, interesting.