Sync SSD to HDD on shutdown?

Discuss new features and functions

Galane

I have a PCIe x4 NVME boot drive and once in a while I clone it to a 1TB HDD. Setting them up as a mirrored pair or other parallel writing method would be a big performance hit to have happening with every file creation, move, deletion etc.

Can FreeFileSync do something like synchronize changes to all files, including changes to Windows system files when the PC is shut down?

xCSxXenon

It's vice versa with FFS. You can't have a shutdown trigger FFS*, but you can have a FFS configuration that shuts the computer down when it is finished using a "post-sync command". Something simple like shutdown -s -t 30 should work. That waits 30 seconds before shutting down but you can change it. You can also open cmd and run shutdown /? to get a list of other things you can do with that command that may or may not be useful. Once the FFS configuration it created, either place a shortcut to it or the file itself somewhere that you can run it easily. Instead of clicking shutdown, you start using this shortcut that syncs and shuts down once finished.

Please note, FFS is NOT an OS backup/imaging utility and should not be used with the intention of creating bootable backups. viewtopic.php?t=10571

*It may be possible to do this with Task Scheduler or something else, but I don't know off the top of my head if you can or what extra things may be required.