Drag and Drop?

Get help for specific problems

SteveF48

I'm trying to synchronise a Windows 10 network share (smb://hp/photos/Miscellaneous) to a local disk.
FFS tells me that the folder does not exist, but it does because I can read it in Thunar file manager.
As entering the location didn't work, I tried Drag and Drop. That didn't do anything either.
Where do I drop a folder for FFS to accept it?
Thanks in advance
Steve

I'm using the Donation Edition of FFS 12.5 running under Bodhi Linux 6.1.0 with Moksha desktop 0.3.4

therube

Does Windows Explorer see 'smb://hp/photos/Miscellaneous' (or similar)?

Perhaps related, https://forum.manjaro.org/t/thunar-how-do-i-access-folders-shared-on-windows-computers/116649 ?

SteveF48

The share is visible from my Windows laptop. It is also visible in Linux, but I haven't figured out how to make it a mount point.

bgstack15

In Bodhi Linux, you will want to install a few packages:
sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
This will allow you then to run sudo mount -t cifs. CIFS is another name for SMB/Samba.

You might want something like:
sudo mount -t cifs //hp/photos/Miscellaneous /net
Where /net is the mount point (empty directory that exists already). Very common parameters to this mount command include:
-o username=SteveF48,password=PASSWORDHERE
Where username is the username you need to connect to the SMB mount, which might not be the same as your linux username.
Or even
-o credentials=/home/SteveF48/.cifs-credentials
And ~/.cifs-credentials contains exactly:
username=SteveF48
password=PASSWORD
domain=WORKGROUPNAMEMIGHTBEOPTIONAL
I cannot recall if it absolutely requires a newline at the end, or not. It is very picky about a credentials file. The point of a credentials file is so that if you decide to add this mount point to /etc/fstab you can point to a credentials file that is not world-readable.

References
•personal experience
man mount.smb3

LeoW

The share is visible from my Windows laptop. It is also visible in Linux, but I haven't figured out how to make it a mount point. SteveF48, 29 Aug 2023, 16:45
Considering your client is Linux, you should give the open source app Rclone a try. It can easily mount Windows shares on Linux.

Run "rclone config" to enter the interactive configuration tool.

It's a single executable file and you won't need to mess around with anything else on Linux and you can mount it to whatever mount point you wish.

rclone mount smbshare: /mnt/smbshare

FFS will be able to access Windows via /mnt/smbshare

This eliminates Samba and all other file system confusion.

Another easy method would be to load MS Open SSH Server for Windows. It's part of windows you just need to go into settings and apps and optional software to add it in and then you can use SFTP from Linux and the FFS software to mount the Windows files.

I do this on all my systems. SSH Server will let you mount whatever directory you want on your windows machine that a local user has access to.