Why SFTP password is base64 encrypted ?

Discuss new features and functions

Plug-fr

Hi,

As I use remote NAS with SFTP server to bachup my datas, I note the password is base64 encoded in the FFS cloud command :
lien.png
lien.png (9.06 KiB) Viewed 16161 times
I’m worried about this behavior.

Aren’t the SFTP commands not already encrypted by FreeFileSync before before being sent through the internet ?

I guess only an FFS developer can answer this question. I'm new on this forum and I don't know if FFS developpers are on this forum...

Thank's

LeoW

They are. Not one of them.

therube

"Fake pwd for forum" ;-).
(Before I looked, I was going to say you should remove from here, & change... heh.)

So locally if someone had access (or remotely if you've been hacked), someone could view (& easily) "decrypt" your (obscured) password. I while (basically) stored as "plain text" locally, what would be sent via SFTP would be encrypted - you'd better hope :-).

(This would not be the case with FTP [non-SFTP].)

Plug-fr

As you proved, it is easy to decipher base64. So what's the interest to use it ?

From my point of view I DO NOT see why. And this is the reason why I ask a developper.
I hope the developper who write this code knows why... and agrees to tell me :)
Site Admin

Zenju

Aren’t the SFTP commands not already encrypted by FreeFileSync before before being sent through the internet ? Plug-fr, 10 Sep 2023, 15:26
Yes, SFTP is TLS-encrypted, and so is everything that is sent over the SSH connection.

As I use remote NAS with SFTP server to bachup my datas, I note the password is base64 encoded in the FFS cloud command :
lien.png
I’m worried about this behavior. Plug-fr, 10 Sep 2023, 15:26
This is so that your coworker doesn't see your password when looking over your shoulder.

Plug-fr

Hi Zenju and thank for your answer

Ok for
the man looking over my shoulder
But what about the man accessing my computer ?
As said "Therube", this password is stored in base64 locally (in the ffs_gui file).

It's a security hole.

Can you think about a solution protecting acces to the ffs_gui file ?

Thank's for develop this very good tool

xCSxXenon

You should be protecting your computer so they can't access your computer.
Site Admin

Zenju

There is the "prompt during login" password option.

Plug-fr

thank you again.

I discover this option recently and it seems good.

However I had to delete few passwords in the GlobalSettings.xml file, recorded I suppose before I use the option.