Do not want sync.ffs_db

Get help for specific problems

sp3ctre18

I'm really happy I found this program and glad it exists; it's definitely saving a lot of pain and making things go faster.

However, sometimes I need to use FreeFileSync for a quick check, and it can be a hassle to have to manually delete the sync.ffs_db file every single time I'm finished working on a folder! Can we have the option to have that automatically removed?

I understand its use for a monitored sync routine, and if I set one up, I'll be ok with it (though to be honest, other sync programs I can use do not put the database in the synced folders themselves. How come you guys can't do that? Maybe you system has benefits, but it would be nice to have it as an option: how to manage / where to store the database file).

But, the reason I use FFS is to find out what is "wrong" when I check the properties of a pair of folders or collection of folders, and I see a difference in file size or number of files. FFS leaving behind a footprint causes a file size difference, so I have to delete the db file.

I already saw a response to a similar post, the answer was: Use something other an "Automatic" mode. Why? Maybe I WANT automatic mode; its settings are fine. You already have a dropdown box for an action "On Completion." How about adding "*Remove sync.ffs_db*" to that list?
Site Admin

Zenju

> I understand its use for a monitored sync routine

The sync.ffs_db files are required and created for "automatic" sync variant only. You probably do want to use another variant instead if you have the requirement to delete the file after a single sync. Check out the "custom" sync rules.

sp3ctre18

Thanks for the response.
Ok, I just tried it and does seem to work fine, but I still want to confirm:

So, if I choose custom setting but leave all options at default....will it do exactly the same thing as the automatic option, simply without the db file?

Regardless of the answer, what ends up being the difference between the two methods?
Site Admin

Zenju

It's not the same:
- only "automatic" can detect file deletions and conflicts of type "change on both sides"
- only "automatic" propagates all changes, e.g. you overwrite a newer file with an older version, then "automatic" will copy the old version to the other side.

In short: "automatic" propagates any change, be it create, update or delete, while all other variants act according to the rule-set.